amtrak to camping at Glacier NP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deb

Hello I'm new to Amtrak and have been reading through some of the forums but still have some questions. A friend and I wish to ride the train from WI to Glacier National Park (using the west park entrance) and then camp at the park for a week before returning. Do backpacking backpacks fit on the train? From what I've been able to tell so far none of the train options I've been given have the option of checking baggage, does that sound right? What's the best way of handling our camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, food, etc)? I'm pretty sure we won't be able to take camp stove fuel on board but will have to buy that at the park. When we arrive at west glacier entrance at 8:30pm I believe it's 2-3 miles between the train station and the actual park entrance. Any one know if there are any shuttles available? I wouldn't have a problem hiking it normally but at 8:30 at night when I still need to find a campsite and get set up I'd rather have a faster option. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Deb-

Are you going solo, or other will be joining you?

I am guessing for hiking, your gears are not going to be any bigger than a large suit case/50lbs?

Not sure about the camp stove, I am going to say no on that.

Just be aware, the train can be later than 8:30 at night, Know last summer it was avg 2 hours late due to the flooding. So maybe make a back up plan if it does arrive late.

I would call the Park, and see if they have shuttle service for you at that time at night.

I got off at West Glacier last summer, but we weren't camping. Any chance you can spend one night in a hotel/motel since you will be getting there so late and then setting up camp the next day? We stayed at the Glacier Highland Resort which is directly across the street from the station, so no shuttle needed. It is a small, family run establishment with a great little diner.

As to your backpack, yes it will fit on a train. I believe they will fit on the over head racks, if not, they will definitely fit in the luggage rack downstairs. As to checked baggage, some stations do and some don't. You would need to check for your station in WI.

Hope you have a great trip.

I did a short Glacier hike this fall, and I arrived via Amtrak. My pack wasn't a problem but I have to admit that I got my fuel for my camp stove at the shop there, I didn't bring it with me. I really liked the basic nature of the Highlander motel. Clean and simple.

And I really love Glacier. It is a great place.

My old Boy Scout Troop went to Glacier a few years ago on Amtrak & have done a number of other trips on Amtrak as well. West Glacier does not accept checked baggage, but a trekking backpack will fit in the lower-level racks just fine; and depending on how full you stuff it, it may fit above your heads. However if you want to check your bags (and your origin allows it) you can go to Whitefish which does have checked baggage service.

Camp stoves are fine, just leave the fuel at home & buy some new in Glacier. I would assume that all your other gear is strapped to your pack & should be fine. I might take your sleeping bag upstairs to use overnight. If your worried about others bags damaging things you could put your tent above your head. But there isn't much to worry about really in my opinion.

peter

My old Boy Scout Troop went to Glacier a few years ago on Amtrak & have done a number of other trips on Amtrak as well. West Glacier does not accept checked baggage, but a trekking backpack will fit in the lower-level racks just fine; and depending on how full you stuff it, it may fit above your heads. However if you want to check your bags (and your origin allows it) you can go to Whitefish which does have checked baggage service.

Camp stoves are fine, just leave the fuel at home & buy some new in Glacier. I would assume that all your other gear is strapped to your pack & should be fine. I might take your sleeping bag upstairs to use overnight. If your worried about others bags damaging things you could put your tent above your head. But there isn't much to worry about really in my opinion.

peter
Ask your questions at this Glacier Park Forum, as well. There are many, many experienced Glacier campers and hikers there.

http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/

Last edited:
I've taken Amtrak to Glacier to backpack, and your gear is NO PROBLEM as long as you don't check it. There is PLENTY of room on the lower level of the Superliners for your backpack, stove, fuel, EVERYTHING. Just keep the stuff IN your pack, which you would normally do.

You might consider a very inexpensive "sack" for your backpack when traveling via train or air. Basically a big bag that you put your backpack IN. That way none of the straps, side pouches, or other loose ends can get caught while loading-unloading.

REQUIRED (in my opinion) when you CHECK your luggage. (to protect your investment). A nice luxury if you are going carry-on The only downside is that you have to either carry the bag with you. (Some, depending upon the size, can weigh 12-14 ounces, or MORE, if you use an old Sea-Bag like I do) I just stashed mine, and a week later it was still in it's hiding spot.

Enjoy the park, and don't forget to HANG YOUR FOOD IN BEAR BAGS!

There was another thread about this topic not very long ago.

I worked in Glacier for eight years, and can help with any specific hiking/camping questions. As far as planning goes, my strong advice would be to reserve a motel room in West Glacier for the first night of your stay, and possibly the last night as well. The only shuttle to/from the West Glacier depot is run by the hotel concessionaire, and is designed for their guests, so they don't stop at the Apgar campground. (You might be able to convince them to take you to the Village Inn motel in Apgar, but if you're not staying there that may or may not work.)

More importantly, the campsites at Apgar are first come, first served, and the place fills up most nights during the summer. Even if the Builder arrives at West Glacier on time, its likely that there wouldn't be any open campsites by then. And if the train is late, you'd face the prospect of a middle-of-the-night walk to Apgar, and no place to camp once you arrived.

There's a paved footpath between West Glacier and Apgar, BTW, that is away from the road and that makes a nice walk. So if you were comfortable carrying your stuff, you could stay in West Glacier the first night, and then walk pretty easily to the campground the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back