Amtrak Silver Meteor Always Late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cody

The train is always late. It was 30 min. laqte leaving richmond and it was 30 min late ariving in Savannah. But comming home, it was 1 hour and 30 min late. Buy the time we got to Richmond we had lost another hour and 15 min. Why is this always hapening.

Well it could be a combination of many things. It could be freight traffic, it could be mechanical falure. Most likley if it is a consistant issue, it is probably not a mechanical one. I would go into a deeper explination, but I have to go to a wedding today. I am confident that someone else will pick this up.

Hope this helps!

Thank CSX for your late arrival. CSX is the owner of the tracks that the Meteor runs on south of Washington, they also dispatch the tracks. A CSX Dispatcher chooses what train gets delayed when two trains meet. But it extends far beyond that, there are many factors that delay a train, weather, speed restrictions, equipment failure, passenger related delays, and so on. Just consider yourself lucky that you weren't on the MEteor that was 15 hours late into Miami. :blink:

Cody said:
The train is always late. It was 30 min. laqte leaving richmond and it was 30 min late ariving in Savannah. But comming home, it was 1 hour and 30 min late. Buy the time we got to Richmond we had lost another hour and 15 min. Why is this always hapening.
I'm not sure when you took this trip, but if it were only a couple of days ago CSX exprienced a major computer crash on August 20. This lead to a knock out of signals all over the Eastern US.

I happened to be on the Silver Star on August 18, 2003. It was late leaving MIA by 20 minutes and, by the time it arrived at JAX, it was 1 hour and 45 minutes late. That was the good news. Somewhere between JAX and Raleigh, N.C., the train lost another 6 11/2 hour due, according to a Supervisor who happened to be aboard as well, to be related to signal problems (due no doubt to the computer crash) and then to repairs to

a bridge north of Southern Pines. Then, to top it all, after leaving Newark,

we were delayed another 25 minutes bacause only one tunnel was operational out of Penn Satation, N. Y. We finally got to Penn Station at

12:35 AM instead of 3:50PM as scheduled. This one way trip from Hollywood, Fla to NYC was a test for us to see whether we would like a long distance train ride. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience; next time we will fly. :angry:

Dave said:
I happened to be on the Silver Star on August 18, 2003. It was late leaving MIA by 20 minutes and, by the time it arrived at JAX, it was 1 hour and 45 minutes late. That was the good news. Somewhere between JAX and Raleigh, N.C., the train lost another 6 11/2 hour due, according to a Supervisor who happened to be aboard as well, to be related to signal problems (due no doubt to the computer crash) and then to repairs toa bridge north of Southern Pines. Then, to top it all, after leaving Newark,

we were delayed another 25 minutes bacause only one tunnel was operational out of Penn Satation, N. Y. We finally got to Penn Station at

12:35 AM instead of 3:50PM as scheduled. This one way trip from Hollywood, Fla to NYC was a test for us to see whether we would like a long distance train ride. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience; next time we will fly. :angry:
Dave,

You should not let this one trip keep you away from long-distance rail travel. Like all modes of transportation, Amtrak encounters many problems too. I would say about 70% of the time will trains arrive within 20 minutes of their schedule and about 85% of the time arrive within an hour or two of their schedule. About 10-15% of all Amtrak trains are cancelled or arrive more than two hours late due to signal problems, freight derailments, whether, crossing accidents, etc. None of these situations can be avoided and are out of Amtrak's control. Don't give up on the first shot and in support if this nations passengers rail system please consider another trip by Amtrak. There's a good chance it will be better than the last. :)

Well you were screwed over just like everyone else. Your component (the SB Star) was over 6 1/2 hours late into Miami, and there were some unhappy people on that train too. I would suggest you write and call Amtrak to see if they will make it up to you in some way shape or form.

Personally, I prefer traveling long distances by train. It's very relaxing and fun, too. You should always plan your trip with delays included. I have ridden Amtrak many times, very rarely have I been on a train that was on-time. Like all modes of transportation, you have to plan for unforeseen circumstances that are beyond your control. The latest train I ever have been on was 29 hours late. I arrived home a day later than expected, but I wasn't upset. Enjoy the time during your travels by train. If you need to be somewhere in a hurry, then skip taking the train or leave a day sooner. The train can be a vacation in itself.

Hi jdmac! Just curious which train it was that was 29 hours late... let me guess... the Coast Starlight?! :eek:

My money's on the Sunset. That's the only train I know of that regularly is DAYS late, not hours.

Actually it was the Pioneer Train 26 back when it ran from Seattle to Salt Lake City and then connected to the California Zephyr in SLC for Chicago. Miss that train...

Yes battalion51, that poor Sunset Limited is always late, very late. Terrible dispatching is usually it's trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back