Amtrak Rider Surveys

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all received and done those. I just completed one (online) regarding my trip on the CL#29(8) from WAS to CHI. Usual questions, etc. but this popped up with questions following would you use this life flat seating instead of sleeper if it were $x less than sleeper or, $xxx less than sleeper.

A new intermediate class of accommodation in the works?

Untitled-1.jpg

Nope. What I pay for in a roomette is privacy and quiet. A "lie flat seat" would have all the loud noises of neighboring passengers and the same inability to change into my pyjamas... why would I ever take this over a roomette? And from Amtrak's point of view, it takes up the same amount of space!

If I'm willing to tolerate the other passengers, Amfleet II seats are plenty comfortable to sleep in.

Of course I am 5'5" tall and ~120 lbs. Larger people may feel differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. What I pay for in a roomette is privacy and quiet. A "lie flat seat" would have all the loud noises of neighboring passengers and the same inability to change into my pyjamas... why would I ever take this over a roomette? And from Amtrak's point of view, it takes up the same amount of space!

If I'm willing to tolerate the other passengers, Amfleet II seats are plenty comfortable to sleep in.

Of course I am 5'5" tall and ~120 lbs. Larger people may feel differently.
I have 6+ inches and more than twice the poundage than you do and I feel the same as you. I want privacy and quiet.

This would be in *addition* to the roomettes.

You'd still have peace and quiet, and those of us who can't afford peace and quiet would at least have a flat surface to sleep on. It's a win-win. :)

I would still travel in a roomette. I traveled by open sections for the first time a couple of months ago on VIA Rail. I met some great people also traveling in the sections, but missed the walls and door, especially in the morning when other passengers headed to the dining car for breakfast at the earliest possible moment.

With arm rest or barrier between adjacent seats, yes. Without arm rest or barrier between adjacent seats, no.

I think this could be a great mid range option. It would probably price out drink college kids and parents with screaming small children which are the two things on the train I have difficulty sleeping through. It depends on how much difference there is in price though. If an overnight has a base rail fare of $100 roomette upgrade of $200 much above $50-75 I'll tough it out in coach or spring for the roomette

I may have to book a long distance trip just to get this survey and tell them "please for the love of God do this now."

I'm not sure whether I agree or not. I'd have to see what the actual arrangement looks like. If the seats recline fully, the legroom between seats would have to be increased to provide the space. That means fewer seats in the coach. That means higher seat price. I need to know more.

Pillows were gone from the Auto Train before I retired, fifteen months ago.

Tom

I wonder what this layout would be.

1x1 lie-flat is essentially roomettes and can't achieve much more density and would likely be too expensive.

2x2 lie-flat requires some form of divider and crawling over someone else...that sounds very uncomfortable.

2x2 one atop the other on both sides of the train sounds reasonable.

2x2 lie-flat requires some form of divider and crawling over someone else...that sounds very uncomfortable.
I did a quick search of what airlines do, and found that in almost all of their publicity pics, they show only one seat reclined (the other still in the normal seated position).

Here is the only one I found that shows both reclined. It does seem that the "inner" person would need to crawl over the "outer" person, if they need to get up during the night.

Business_IMG_0814.jpg

There appears to be sufficient space to go around the feet of the person in the aisle seat.

If they can pull off the funds to get new cars configured this way, I'm all for it.

I would love this... to a point. I have a hard time sleeping sitting up, even reclined. For some reason I need that special switch to tell my body to sleep and that's sleeping completely down. However, I would want some separation. I took a sleeper the last time I was on the train. I liked it for what it was (thought the train was extremely late). Privacy was a huge plus. But depending on cost, I would do this in a heartbeat.

Without arm rest or barrier between adjacent seats, no.
Agreed. The image shows the same old and uncomfortable seats as today but just flatter. You'd think Amtrak would try to include something designed and implemented in the last decade.

It would probably price out drink college kids and parents with screaming small children which are the two things on the train I have difficulty sleeping through.
In my experience there is no service level on Amtrak which can successfully price out parents with loud and obnoxious children.

The privacy is an issue for me as well. If offered, I'm not going to take advantage of it, but I see the desirability for some.
Yeah, I have to be outright exhausted to sleep in public and next to a stranger is an impossibility.
I can sleep NEXT to a stranger in coach on a plane but I cannot sleep WITH a stranger like how Amtrak does it. Even when it's a friend I would prefer to have a minimal divider. Meanwhile Amtrak seems to think we all want to snuggle up with whoever happens to be next to us.

Three seats per aisle, instead of four, would be a way to get around having to crawl over an unknown seatmate. Perhaps half of the seats in the car could be four across, half three across, with the single seats sold at a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back