Amtrak Revenue and Cash Shortfall - Merged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! No one posted the last one? Whatever will we do?
I'm sorry. Did I leave something out? What exactly needs to be posted?

Looking back I see that I buried the sleeper numbers. They're there, but easily overlooked.

Sleeper ridership 1975 was 26,000. In 2015 it was 77,000. So it boomed.

Meanwhile coach totals remained pretty flat, 349,000 in 1975 to 385,000 in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3966380 )

This is actually a really good letter from Boardman and it reminds me why I like him.

"Next, I appreciate the work that everyone has done to help us reduce our costs – but I have reviewed the recommended cuts, and in many cases, we are delaying or eliminating investments that are critical to our future while not looking at underlying cost issues.

"Our challenge is to keep building Amtrak for the future while managing our way through this difficult financial situation today."

This is a polite but direct slam at his department managers, telling them that they are cutting the wrong places, that it's not acceptable, and that he's not going to tolerate it. This is management. :) Good for Boardman.

"We have many positions at Amtrak that have been held open for a long time. When these positions are left open, the funding for these positions stays within the department – and can be used for other purposes, as the department sees fit. This practice is not an efficient use of our resources."

There's also this slam at the department managers.

If specific departments are prone to playing these sorts of games and refuse to straighten out, we may see a few department managers sacked....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back