Amtrak relocates to SPUD May 7 (includes old topic)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes there is already a storage track at least a quarter mile long east from SPUD.

Yes from SPUD there is no headroom to the west ( CP ex MW and UP ex CNW and GNW riverfront rights - and the drawbridge)

The tracks and trackage rights near SPUD is amazingly complicated - especially east from SPUD

I've posted about the "sewer", the "swamp" what it is really is the "Giant Wye" with even now only 3 railroads -

The whole lowlands east of SPUD and west of Hoffman interlocking could "possibly" be prime riverfront real estate.

I am happy that work has started. But I know from the various "planning documents" that any progress down in the swamp will be a long slow process.

The freight lines, the possible passenger lines, the needed upgrades and who will pay -- ??

It will be a long slow process optimizing the rails east of SPUD

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're waiting for Amtrak to arrive at SPUD, some friends of mine report that the depot was busy last night. From Facebook:

Just woke up after staying up at the Northern Spark Art Festival till 4:00am. This year it was in St Paul in lowertown, centered around the Union Depot. The highlights -

• Instant Cinema is where we spent a lot of time. This was a three piece (although the pieces altered a bit) improvisational jazz ensemble with a conductor who wandered the event with a camera - the ensemble played to what the conductor chose to view. The ensemble instruments were bass clarinet or bass guitar, drums, and a very elaborate keyboard/synthesizer. I am not the biggest improvisational jazz fan but these people were good! We watched quite a few of their sets. They were set up in the perfect place in the station, as a mock teleportation station, just a few steps from the existential travel agency.
  • A lighted pedal operated dragonfly that roamed the platform, the pre-launch party in a large tent with Flat Earth beer and special cocktails - on the depot grounds by the railroad tracks (not in use yet)
  • Seeing Amtrak go by (on the other side of the grounds) with plenty of honks from the engineer
  • A Hmong-inspired fashion show on the platform with the audience (including us) sitting on the railroad tracks: (I am sure that is the only time I'll be able to sit on those tracks!)
  • The giant pedal powered bat that rode down Fourth Street
  • Zeitgeist performing at Studio Z
  • Film projected of old TV and promotional train advertisements including ads for the Empire Builder, Hiawatha, and Great Northern
  • The interactive light board
  • The Astronaut Spirit Academy with artist produced alien landscapes, rocket ships and mind-reading devices.
There was a lot of activity and a lot of people now know what the Union Depot is like! Lots of events that I didn't touch on - oh, they also burned down a house constructed of cardboard and wood frame - replica of an actual house on the Mississippi bluffs - at 2:00am.

Forgot to mention the MN Museum of American Art - small art gallery open all night with a fabulous exhibit called String Felt Theory.

This is a good view of some of the projects:

Isn't this date almost a year after the originally planned date? I recall reading in the MSP newspaper, on one of my trips last summer to that area, that December 2012 or january 2013 was the "projected" date for the possible switch!! I guess, as with just about everything else these days nothing is on time any more.

:-(

Yesterday I saw a sign at Midway station saying that Amtrak would move to SPUD on 1/13/14.
Only a few more months of free parking for those wanting to depart from MSP.....and one more opportunity to see the Minnesota State Fair fireworks during the extended EB stop.

Yesterday I saw a sign at Midway station saying that Amtrak would move to SPUD on 1/13/14.
Only a few more months of free parking for those wanting to depart from MSP.....and one more opportunity to see the Minnesota State Fair fireworks during the extended EB stop.
Are there any plans to add a stop somewhere outside of downtown for those that want the free parking? It's already pretty expensive to take the EB (often about the same as airfares, and much more expensive than Greyhound or Megabus.)

Nope. I do wonder if they have a special rate for Amtrak passengers, though.

That said, I feel much better about parking a car and paying a nominal fee to know it's secure at SPUD than leave it exposed to the elements and potential break-ins in the Midway.

We live well over 100 miles from the Twin Cities, and our trips on the Builder often mean that we park our car for 7+ days. The ability to park our car for free at Midway Station has been an important reason to use Amtrak. Does anyone know what the parking situation will be at SPUD for long term Amtrak customers?

We live well over 100 miles from the Twin Cities, and our trips on the Builder often mean that we park our car for 7+ days. The ability to park our car for free at Midway Station has been an important reason to use Amtrak. Does anyone know what the parking situation will be at SPUD for long term Amtrak customers?
Would either St. Cloud, MN or Red Wing, MN be somewhat "on the way" for you? Both of those have free parking.

Not sure what the story will be for parking at SPUD, though. I know the ramp/ride/fly in Minneapolis is $10 for the first day, $3 for each additional day. Once the light rail starts over to SPUD, you could park in Ramp C and take the light rail over.

I'd expect parking would be $5-$10 a day. Here's a listing of nearby parking ramps that might be a little out of date.

There's plenty of parking options in downtown St Paul. I've paid as little as $3 to park in Union Depot after 5 PM.

Another option would be to park in the nearby Cray Plaza (formerly Galtier Plaza), which is just one block away. When the parking attendant isn't in the booth (generally after 6 PM), the ramp switches to "B" mode where you pay $10 cash for night/weekend parking. You could potentially park there for many days and only pay $10.

Another option would be to park at Sears for free just outside of DT and take the Green Line to the Union Depot.

Additionally, SPUD does have a section of their garage set aside for Amtrak long-term parking. I wonder if they would consider giving a validated voucher to Amtrak riders for discounted parking in SPUD.

Another option would be to park at Sears for free just outside of DT and take the Green Line to the Union Depot..
I don't know the specifics of this case, but don't most retailers identify overnight parkers and tow them? I once left a car in a big mall parking lot past closing time to see a midnight opening night movie with friends and when I got back in the wee hours of the morning I got a notice that if I ever parked "overnight" (I guess past their closing time) again, I would be towed at my expense. :wacko: It was my mom's car so it gave me a bit of a fright. :( I would have gladly taken the blankety-blank commuter rail if it went out that far, but it didn't. :angry2:

The suggestion of parking at the airport doesn't make a lot of sense.

The reason SPUD charges for parking is because you are getting more now. The garage is secure and your car is protected from the elements. The cost to park at SPUD has always been very reasonable each time I've been there.

Your second best option is to take a taxi or get dropped off and picked up.

Would either St. Cloud, MN or Red Wing, MN be somewhat "on the way" for you? Both of those have free parking.

Not sure what the story will be for parking at SPUD, though. I know the ramp/ride/fly in Minneapolis is $10 for the first day, $3 for each additional day. Once the light rail starts over to SPUD, you could park in Ramp C and take the light rail over.
To park at the airport and take the light rail you would have to take it first to downtown MPLS and then take the new line to St,. Paul. Better off walking from the airport :p

A second stop for the Twin Cities NW of Mpls would be a good idea, especially one that merries up with the northstar commuter line.

To park at the airport and take the light rail you would have to take it first to downtown MPLS and then take the new line to St,. Paul. Better off walking from the airport :p
Walking or bicycling to-from MSP is not allowed . Couple years back airport cops busted a bicycle rider - he got off the charge at some expense, cause there was no "no bicycle" warning sign -- now there is - can't walk or bicycle from MSP - it's illegal. Is it a security threat? who can say - but - you gotta take the light rail or the #54 bus to legally get off the airport. Or rent a car if you don't have one parked already.

Walking or bicycling to-from MSP is not allowed . Couple years back airport cops busted a bicycle rider - he got off the charge at some expense, cause there was no "no bicycle" warning sign -- now there is - can't walk or bicycle from MSP - it's illegal. Is it a security threat? who can say - but - you gotta take the light rail or the #54 bus to legally get off the airport. Or rent a car if you don't have one parked already.
Umm, the airport's Web site has a bicycle access map. It's perfectly legal, apparently, to bicycle to the Humphrey Terminal. I do agree that it doesn't make much sense to park at the airport if you're taking a train from SPUD, especially since downtown St. Paul is not lacking in parking opportunities. Jebr's Ramp C, though, is in downtown Minneapolis, making parking there a slightly less crazy idea.

I guess I used the wrong emoticon for defining a joke. I apologize.

I guess I used the wrong emoticon for defining a joke. I apologize.
No - right emoticon -- some of us are a bit OCD - and need an emoticon or two -- thanks.

From the Pioneer Press http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_23535681/union-depot-changes-amtrak-approved-by-ramsey-county

On Tuesday, the seven-member board met as the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority and approved the final contracts necessary to install a signalization system on the depot track, as well as a revised term sheet with Union Pacific Railroad and an amended preliminary engineering agreement with BNSF Railway. Amtrak's Empire Builder, McDonough said, is still on track to begin stopping at the Union Depot platform in the fourth quarter of this year. The commissioners called that good news, but they acknowledged they had previously expected the passenger line to arrive in the fourth quarter of last year.
There had been some work done on the station tracks last time I was there about 2 weeks back. Switch machines and switch heaters installed at either end of the platform tacks and some crossties and rail piled at the west end, apparently for the connection to the UP and/or CP main.

Progress, but slow.

The money quote is: "The commissioners called that good news, but they acknowledged they had previously expected the passenger line to arrive in the fourth quarter of last year." These are the commissioners who were running the project (it isn't as though being a Ramsey County commissioner is a full-time job). They obviously completely dropped the ball in the years that the depot was being restored at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, not bothering to make sure that the train station could, in fact, receive trains when it reopened. Makes me ashamed to be represented by them. Heck, the bicycle repair shop hasn't even opened yet. I guess I should feel grateful we have the world's largest lite-bright.

The money quote is: "The commissioners called that good news, but they acknowledged they had previously expected the passenger line to arrive in the fourth quarter of last year." These are the commissioners who were running the project (it isn't as though being a Ramsey County commissioner is a full-time job). They obviously completely dropped the ball in the years that the depot was being restored at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, not bothering to make sure that the train station could, in fact, receive trains when it reopened. Makes me ashamed to be represented by them. Heck, the bicycle repair shop hasn't even opened yet. I guess I should feel grateful we have the world's largest lite-bright.
Being from Texas this sure sounds Familiar! :( :help: (And the Folks in Hope, Arkansas sure can Relate also!)

A second stop for the Twin Cities NW of Mpls would be a good idea, especially one that merries up with the northstar commuter line.
A second stop for the Twin Cities would be pointless. A better option would be to extend Northstar Commuter line to SPUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back