Amtrak passenger has Heart Attack on train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I've been on a train when it had to stop due to a medical emergency, but the patient was in the bottom level of the train, so it was easy to get him out. I can see why they didn't try to get the patient through the vestibule doors since the stairwell on Superliners are quite cramped and steep when you're walking under your own power, much less being 6'6" and having to be carried on a stretcher down them. Great job by the Amtrak crew and the emergency responders by taking care of the patient quickly and efficiently!

Now that's a new one! Good thinking, though. A Superliner train bound for Miami? Was it the Sunset Limited actually bound for Orlando?

jccollins said:
Now that's a new one!  Good thinking, though.  A Superliner train bound for Miami?  Was it the Sunset Limited actually bound for Orlando?
That was my first question while reading. They must have made a publishing mistake or just had no idea. They also dont seem to mention exactly how long it took to do the rescue. Do you have any idea the amount of time the train remained stopped at the crossing?

Whomever reported to the media that the train was bound for Miami might have been confused inasmuchas it used to go all the way to Miami.

Just a small mistake, but that was an amazing story, to say the least. :lol: Another way to do a rescue like that is to uncouple the car the victim is in and then set the ladder up to the end of the vesitbule.

That is a most dramatic shot people there will remember a long time and I feel it some way made everybody look good, Amtrak, the rescuers, etc, all. I hope the patient has continued to survive and get better, that is the important thing.

Interesting and good thinking. Makes me wonder though if the medics had a "Stair Chair" available the probably could have taken the vic out via the stairs. A stair chair is a stretcher that folds the patient into an upright sitting position allowing one to be taken down the stairs. NYC EMS has these for use in buildings with no elevators and steep stairs.

tp49 said:
Interesting and good thinking. Makes me wonder though if the medics had a "Stair Chair" available the probably could have taken the vic out via the stairs. A stair chair is a stretcher that folds the patient into an upright sitting position allowing one to be taken down the stairs. NYC EMS has these for use in buildings with no elevators and steep stairs.
Even getting a "Stair Chair" down those stairs in a Superliner would be a pain in the neck. Considering their sharp turns and all. It was proably easier and faster just to open up one of the emergancy windows and bring the victim down the ladder.

Do you know what they did about there being an open window in the lounge for the rest of the journey? Did they seal it back up? or just continue on. I know its not a real pertinent issue, but Amtrak can be strange about some things, as we well know.

My guess is that you'd have to close the car until the window could be replaced by Mechanical, those windows don't exactly just pop right back in.

battalion51 said:
My guess is that you'd have to close the car until the window could be replaced by MEchanical, those windows don't exactly just pop right back in.
I know they would have to close the car untill a window is replaced that would be an FRA defect but that would stink not having a lounge car open for sevral hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back