Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it hard to find businesses that take Discover, but many that take AmEx. Not as many as taking Visa or MasterCard, but it's not hard.
If they take JCB, Discover will work also on the processor network. (and vice versa) There are grocery stores that take only JCB.

I had an AGR mastercard, but I canceled after I got the sign up bonus :lol: hopefully the new card won't have a min spend attached to the bonus, but that tends to be pretty standard these days.

Why did you cancel? :huh: Just by holding it. You receive 5% rebate on any agr redemptions you make. You never have to even use the card! :excl: And your points will never expire! (My friend found out he had over 50,000 points, just because he has it!)

With Chase, you can not earn a second bonus for opening a 2nd card of the same kind. (You can receive a bonus for opening for exanple both a AGR MasterCard and a CSP, but not a new AGR MasterCard.

Well since Chase is out of the picture the whole issue is moot. But for the record, under the old program you could get the welcome bonus Provided you had not received bonus in last 24 months. In other world you could have card for couple of years and cancel and then reapply. I should know...I cancelled my card a couple months ago and was waiting to April to reapply and qualify again

Hard to tell what might happen with any new bank...if there is a welcome bonus I assume there will be a minimum spend requirement. The prior requirement of $500 was pretty reasonable....but it could take months before amtrak negotiates a new marketing agreement for a new credit card

Also regarding Chase ...many of their other cards permit new bonus after wait of 18 months or so....alternatively you might try to qualify for the business card to get duplicate bonus...for example the United consumer credit card is considered to be a distinct and separate product from the United business credit card. You could qualify for enrollment bonus by getting both cards.

Why did you cancel? :huh: Just by holding it. You receive 5% rebate on any agr redemptions you make. You never have to even use the card! :excl: And your points will never expire! (My friend found out he had over 50,000 points, just because he has it!)

With Chase, you can not earn a second bonus for opening a 2nd card of the same kind. (You can receive a bonus for opening for exanple both a AGR MasterCard and a CSP, but not a new AGR MasterCard.
This was years ago before they had the points rebate for redemptions. I'm not to worried about my points expiring if I go 36 months without a train ride there's bigger problems.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd be that stupid.
Jtoddander is right. I have earned two bonuses on both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Freedom cards. Honest. My rule of thumb is to not apply for two years after I've cancelled the card before applying for it again. Chase has apparently forgotten about me by then.

This isn't really a problem, since Mrs. Ispolkom has also done the same thing. Our strategy, such that it is, is for her to apply for a card, say the Chase Freedom card. When she gets it, I cancel my Chase Freedom card. Two years pass, we reverse the process. I'm sure that in the fullness of time this will stop working, but until then...

American Express, for instance, finally instituted an absolute one and done policy. You now absolutely, positively (at least as far as I know) only get one bonus. Mrs. Ispolkom and I slipped under the wire before in the start date of this policy last year with our fouth bonus for the SPG American Express.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought my points transferred automatically with my AGR mastercard. Is that incorrect? They always seem to show up on my AGR report in my email. :huh:

I've had this credit card a loooong time. (Gone through a lot of numbers lately though because of fraud in the past year.) Going to be weird switching to a new credit card.

If you mean the points you earn from using the card, yes they do. Such as if you charge $653 with the card, you'll see 653 points posted to your AGR account the next day.
False. Points are credited to the member account after statement close, like most loyalty credit cards.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd be that stupid.
Jtoddander is right. I have earned two bonuses on both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Freedom cards. Honest. My rule of thumb is to not apply for two years after I've cancelled the card before applying for it again. Chase has apparently forgotten about me by then.
This isn't really a problem, since Mrs. Ispolkom has also done the same thing. Our strategy, such that it is, is for her to apply for a card, say the Chase Freedom card. When she gets it, I cancel my Chase Freedom card. Two years pass, we reverse the process. I'm sure that in the fullness of time this will stop working, but until then...

American Express, for instance, finally instituted an absolute one and done policy. You now absolutely, positively (at least as far as I know) only get one bonus. Mrs. Ispolkom and I slipped under the wire before in the start date of this policy last year with our fouth bonus for the SPG American Express.

Ispolkom....regarding Amex. If you read the term and condition on Amex cards you will see that Amex prohibits additional welcome bonus points on PERSONAL cards. Business cards are treated differently...they allow bonus again after waiting one year.

I usually pay my AGR Chase credit card in person at the branch because I pass by on daily walk and when I was in there the other day the teller said 'You're eligible for a different card so would you like to apply?' I've never had them offer that to me before. I'm sad because my expiration date is this August and I'm wishing it was for three years out instead. I have truly enjoyed racking points up so easily. Fingers crossed that another AGR card emerges.

I usually pay my AGR Chase credit card in person at the branch because I pass by on daily walk and when I was in there the other day the teller said 'You're eligible for a different card so would you like to apply?' I've never had them offer that to me before. I'm sad because my expiration date is this August and I'm wishing it was for three years out instead. I have truly enjoyed racking points up so easily. Fingers crossed that another AGR card emerges.
Just for the heck of it, report your card lost in July and see what they do. I bet they'll send you a replacement card with an expiration date when they intend to switch things really off and most likely move everyone over to something else, unless of course Amtrak is discontinuing the AGR affinity credit card program completely.

Back