Amtrak lines face new threat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

engine999

OBS Chief
Thursday, August 12, 2004 Press Wire and Local Reports

A bill waiting for Gov. Jennifer Granholm's signature eventually could shut two state-supported Amtrak lines, a southeast Michigan lawmaker said.

But West Michigan's Pere Marquette line from Grand Rapids to Chicago probably is safe, though area leaders worry the bill could lead to the line receiving less money from the state.

"I don't think the effect of the legislation is nearly as grave as they are suggesting," said state Rep. Jerry Kooiman, R-Grand Rapids, who sits on the House Appropriations Transportation subcommittee. "I don't think the Pere Marquette (line) is shutting down."

"But I'm not excited about the legislation because I don't think it's the best way to approach the issue."

Earlier this month, the state House and Senate passed the supplemental appropriations bill, which adjusts the funding various agencies receive this fiscal year. The legislation would require the state to pay the same amount of money -- $7.1 million -- to bus companies as it does to Amtrak.

In addition to the Pere Marquette line, the subsidy helps Amtrak run its Blue Water Line from Port Huron to Chicago.

The proposed requirement could cause problems with the state budget and lead to cancellation of the Amtrak subsidy, state Rep. Lauren Hager said.

"If they have to give equal amounts, it could possibly shut them (the Amtrak lines) down," said Hager, a Republican from Port Huron Township. "The impact would be devastating. They (Amtrak) need so much subsidy to keep operations going."

Kooiman said that scenario would apply only to the Blue Water Line, where bus companies like Indian Trails Inc. operate at every stop, unlike the Pere Marquette line.

But Steve Bulthuis, transportation program manager for Holland's Macatawa Area Coordinating Council, said he does worry the legislation could reduce the subsidy Amtrak gets from the state, which indirectly would reduce the amount given to the Pere Marquette line.

"I'm a little hesitant to make some of the same claims (as Rep. Hager), but I think the potential is there to have a negative impact on the Pere Marquette line and to that end we're concerned," said Bulthuis, who also represents MACC in Westrain, a collaboration of private and public organizations that promotes passenger rail service in West Michigan.

Amtrak's Pere Marquette line's growth rates rival other Amtrak lines nationwide. In budget year 2003, it attracted 73,392 riders, up 22 percent from the previous year and the second-highest ridership in its history. And year-to-date figures show about a 12 percent increase in ridership and revenue over the same period in 2003.

The rail line also stops in Bangor, St. Joseph, New Buffalo and Hammond, Ind.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said it is too early to say how the bill, if signed, would affect the rail service. When asked if service could be stopped, Magliari said, "That's one of the things we're looking into."

Granholm was reviewing the section of the bill and the impact it would have if she signs it, said Greg Bird, spokesman for the State Budget Office.

Press reporter Kyla King contributed to this report.

© 2004 Grand Rapids Press. Used with permission

engine999 said:

Thursday, August 12, 2004 Press Wire and Local Reports

A bill waiting for Gov. Jennifer Granholm's signature eventually could shut two state-supported Amtrak lines, a southeast Michigan lawmaker said.

But West Michigan's Pere Marquette line from Grand Rapids to Chicago probably is safe, though area leaders worry the bill could lead to the line receiving less money from the state.

"I don't think the effect of the legislation is nearly as grave as they are suggesting," said state Rep. Jerry Kooiman, R-Grand Rapids, who sits on the House Appropriations Transportation subcommittee. "I don't think the Pere Marquette (line) is shutting down."

"But I'm not excited about the legislation because I don't think it's the best way to approach the issue."

Earlier this month, the state House and Senate passed the supplemental appropriations bill, which adjusts the funding various agencies receive this fiscal year. The legislation would require the state to pay the same amount of money -- $7.1 million -- to bus companies as it does to Amtrak.

In addition to the Pere Marquette line, the subsidy helps Amtrak run its Blue Water Line from Port Huron to Chicago.

The proposed requirement could cause problems with the state budget and lead to cancellation of the Amtrak subsidy, state Rep. Lauren Hager said.

"If they have to give equal amounts, it could possibly shut them (the Amtrak lines) down," said Hager, a Republican from Port Huron Township. "The impact would be devastating. They (Amtrak) need so much subsidy to keep operations going."

Kooiman said that scenario would apply only to the Blue Water Line, where bus companies like Indian Trails Inc. operate at every stop, unlike the Pere Marquette line.

But Steve Bulthuis, transportation program manager for Holland's Macatawa Area Coordinating Council, said he does worry the legislation could reduce the subsidy Amtrak gets from the state, which indirectly would reduce the amount given to the Pere Marquette line.

"I'm a little hesitant to make some of the same claims (as Rep. Hager), but I think the potential is there to have a negative impact on the Pere Marquette line and to that end we're concerned," said Bulthuis, who also represents MACC in Westrain, a collaboration of private and public organizations that promotes passenger rail service in West Michigan.

Amtrak's Pere Marquette line's growth rates rival other Amtrak lines nationwide. In budget year 2003, it attracted 73,392 riders, up 22 percent from the previous year and the second-highest ridership in its history. And year-to-date figures show about a 12 percent increase in ridership and revenue over the same period in 2003.

The rail line also stops in Bangor, St. Joseph, New Buffalo and Hammond, Ind.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said it is too early to say how the bill, if signed, would affect the rail service. When asked if service could be stopped, Magliari said, "That's one of the things we're looking into."

Granholm was reviewing the section of the bill and the impact it would have if she signs it, said Greg Bird, spokesman for the State Budget Office.

Press reporter Kyla King contributed to this report.

© 2004 Grand Rapids Press. Used with permission
If this Bill DOES NOT get a VETO the Pere Marquette is GONE along with the Blue water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back