Amtrak in the movies........

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
It's always kind of cool to see clips of Amtrak in Hollywood movies. The other night, just by chance, I saw two clips from two different movies in the same night. I had not seen either parts of these movies before too!

The first was Pretty in Pink. I know, don't laugh, I'm a product of the 80's at it was on. There is a shot of a F40PH with a few cars rolling past a rural type neighborhood.

The second was from the movie the Witness. Here an Amish family rides a train from rural PA to Baltimore or Philly. A few interior shots too.......Old amfleet interiors, with brown leather/pleather...at least that's what it looked like. Boy the older phase paint scheme on both movies looks bad. I think it was phase II.

So what other movies have long clips?

Mike S.

planes, trains, and automobiles... but i don't think the train is called amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to change the subject too much, but...

One of the lists included documentaries. I didn't see this one listed, so I thought I would ask.

I'm curious if anybody ever caught the BBC series 'Great Railway Journeys of the World'? It was aired on PBS in the early 80's. One of the first episodes was 'Coast to Coast' and the host went from New York to Los Angeles via the Broadway Limited (now defunct), the CZ, and CS. I dusted off the tape a while back to record it to DVD in an attempt to preserve and it amazed by the motive power featured in it: A GG-1 (still in PRR colors) leaving NYP, a P30CH (phase II) and FP45 (phase I) on the CZ. A couple of shots show a brand new gleaming F40 at CUS. He also devoted a small segment to the Rio Grand passenger line as well. Overall, a very well done documentary and the series was very interesting.

Unfortunately, it has not come out on DVD and only one episode was put out on VHS which I've seen for almost $50.00. Very little, if anything is on the 'net about the series as well.

Dan

Continental Divide w/John Belushi has a few good shots of the EB with heritage equipment.

The Spike Lee movie, (I think), 'Clockers'. One of the dealers is an avid rail fan and in the end he escapes the lifestyle on an Amtrak train.

Carlito's Way has a good segment in the end, I haven't seen it in a while, somebody is trying to leave NYC I think or Philly and gets shot by two Amfleet trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back