Amtrak heritage cars retirement thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the on track roster, the heritage diners still on the rails will be on the Midwest routes as "axle-count" cars

----

10031: Dome car will remain.

Last edited by a moderator:
8510 was seen on 98(17) as it makes its way to the Grove. Additionally, the 8531 is not longer being used as an axle count car. The last diner is the 8530.

I think a few of them (heritage bags) are used on trains w/o baggage service in the Midwest to bring some short consists up to minimum length required by one of the host railroads. CN comes to mind, but I might have that wrong. The number of bags in use can exceed the number of bags required for baggage service. The real number is how many are released for service, not delivered, since a bunch are still being used for training, and not all have been released from Hialeah.
I saw three heratage cars (two of them were diners) on the tail end of a late running northbound Saluki on May 1st at Homewood. The seven car train had Charger 4614 on the lead.

Most of them are stored. The 8505 and 8530 are in axle count service. Additionally, they've reinstated some of the previously stored baggage cars to serve as axle count cars. This frees up coaches.

The 1216, 1221, 1702, 1710, 1734,1735,1750,1751,1757 and 1758 are all back on the road.

I've heard talk from my sources inside VIA they might be eyeing some cars. But then again I'm interested in acquiring a handful as well.

I have a friend starting a project that needs fourteen baggage cars, a diner, and a crew dorm.

Sorry to bump this but I haven't found an answer anywhere else. If anyone knows, which car made the last revenue service run as a diner, when, and on which train?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I saw an AD on trains for Wisconsin Great Northern offering an Wine and Cheese train that is using one of the recently retired/sold Pacific Parlour cars. Glad to hear at least one is continuing to live out the rest of its life in revenue/tourist service. Probably will serve the best wine and cheese that car has ever seen.

Back