Amtrak has delays on NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
NBC 4 just brought us this breaking news story:

An Amtrak Train hit a person at Edison Station as a result NJT and Amtrak are experiencing delays. The individual was pronounced DOA. :(

I don't know he could have slipped, been pushed, jumped off intentionally. One thing I notice on the Low level Morris and Essex line platforms is rather than go under the station they go to the end of the platform where the fence ends and cross that way. Keep in mind Edison, like all NJT NEC Line Stations (except for Jersey Ave) are high level. The NEC is elevated so it probably isn't fenced off.

Elevated or not NEC should be fenced in for security reasons and safety of "wandering" pedestrians. I think it would make a difference, but Congress has to help by giving Amtrak the $$$.

I agree with you, but the $$$ has to go to improving things like equipment restoration, improving the NEC, unless its marked for Security or safety. We also have to look towards making Amtrak adequetly funded, and ultimately new and expanded equipment.

Exactly, if only Congress would realize this.

Another tragic event on NEC occured Friday when one man died by climbing up on a single post and touched the over head catenary. Click here for article.

Joe Pesaturo, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, said the two men, attending a nearby party, climbed a fence onto the rail corridor and scaled a signal pole to a work platform.
The quote above came from the Boston Herald article that Amfleet linked to above.

Of note here is the fact these men climbed the fence to reach the tracks. Fences don't work. People climb them, people cut them, and people walk around them at RR crossings. It's sad to say but fences are only a waste of money by and large. What we need is better education about the dangers and tougher penalties for people who violate the law and enter the tracks.

AlanB said:
Joe Pesaturo, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, said the two men, attending a nearby party, climbed a fence onto the rail corridor and scaled a signal pole to a work platform.
The quote above came from the Boston Herald article that Amfleet linked to above.

Of note here is the fact these men climbed the fence to reach the tracks. Fences don't work. People climb them, people cut them, and people walk around them at RR crossings. It's sad to say but fences are only a waste of money by and large. What we need is better education about the dangers and tougher penalties for people who violate the law and enter the tracks.
Exactly, Alan is right, fences aren't enough, education is the key.

I think that mabey fencing where possible, then surveillance cameras at singles, grade grossings, stations, and rail yards could be put up. If an unidentified pedestrian is spotted then the local police could be notified. This is expensive, is it worth it?

For education to be a real deterrent railroads actually have to go into the schools and work with children. I grew up on Long Island a couple of blocks from the busiest line on the system (passenger wise). The LIRR never made any effort to educate us about the danger of the railroad tracks with the exception of a half-hour talk and a coloring book they gave us when I was in Kindergarten.

Fencing alone is not an adequate deterrent in my mind. However, I think most of us would agree that railroad tracks are what is referred to (at least in tort law regarding landowner liability) as an attractive nuisance. This means that the railroad has a legal duty to protect trespassers from danger. Fencing especially in areas where trespassers are known to access the railroad since the cost of fencing the entire thing would be too great of a burden on the railroad.

I believe that in areas where trespassers are known to be fencing in combination with increased police patrols and issuance of citations is the most effective strategy to keep people out. While it might not be possible for Amtrak PD to do this, it can be done in cooperation with local law enforcement in the cities where trespassing is a problem.

That isn't enough, it won't stay with most students if its taught in Kindergarten, I know NJ Transit does go to schools, but it has to be reinforced, and taught as you get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back