Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good trip and one I would have loved to experience but getting to Philly and then having a long day may not be worth it.

Know my one main question, will Train #803, the Autumn Express Train earn Amtrak Guest Reward points?
Why wouldn't it, you are booking through Amtrak.

I am just not into these long railfan trips. I would love to ride this stretch since I drive over it everyday.

:cool: Nice find jis! Wonder if Amtrak will have Ocean View , their One and Only Dome Car in the Consist since it goes back East in the Fall for Leaf peeper Season???
Very unlikely. Clearances in 30th Street Station could be an issue, and Amtrak does not permit occupancy of the dome while under catenary. Much of this trip - Philadelphia to Perryville and Harrisburg to Philadelphia - is under wire.

:cool: Nice find jis! Wonder if Amtrak will have Ocean View , their One and Only Dome Car in the Consist since it goes back East in the Fall for Leaf peeper Season???
Very unlikely. Clearances in 30th Street Station could be an issue, and Amtrak does not permit occupancy of the dome while under catenary. Much of this trip - Philadelphia to Perryville and Harrisburg to Philadelphia - is under wire.
Another clue is the single price point (for adults). If there was a dome car on a trip like this, you'd think they'd sell reserved seats in there for an extra cost.

I know that on normal revenue trips, the dome car is "first come first served" but on an excursion, it would naturally be the first place passengers would

gravitate to, so Amtrak would be leaving mucho revenue on the table if they included that car but did not charge more to sit there.

:hi: Thanks for the clarificatiions, Im not familiar with the Route except between PHL and PGH!(Ive ridden Keystones and the Pennsylvanian) Were All Dome Cars excluded from 30th Street Station back in the Old Days like they are in NYP and BAL due to Clearance Problems???

Still sounds like a Nice Excursion and that's a Good Price for such a Trip, they usually are Expensive! ;)

I'd like to do it. Too bad they don't stop in WIL or NRK (at least I assume they don't). But then I'd get points if I took Amtrak to/from PHL.

Will need to think about it and hope it's not sold out before I decide.

The trip mentions the Columbia Secondary. Maybe I am just not up on the old routes in the area, but doesn't that mean it will go back down along the river to Columbia, and go over NS track through Dillerville yard and back onto the Amtrak line in Lancaster?

I assume the route is Philadelphia, Perryville, Marrietta, cross over the Susquehanna over the Shocks Mill Bridge to the west side, go up through New Cumberland, Enola, across, Rockville bridge, to Harrisburg Station, back down to Marietta, Columbia, Lancaster, back on to Amtrak at Lancaster and then end in PHL.

I am tempted on this. I may need to see if I can get to PHL from Aberdeen or Baltimore that morning.

Do you think Amtrak s standard cancellation policy applies?

This will most likely follow the NEC from Philly to Perryville then hit the Port Road Branch to Enola pass over the Rockville Bridge possibly make a stop at the fuel pad and then onto Philly. Or the reverse. Sounds like a nice trip.. I might spring the money for it.

I think for questions regarding Cancelations and AGR points should be directed to Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trip mentions the Columbia Secondary. Maybe I am just not up on the old routes in the area, but doesn't that mean it will go back down along the river to Columbia, and go over NS track through Dillerville yard and back onto the Amtrak line in Lancaster?
I assume the route is Philadelphia, Perryville, Marrietta, cross over the Susquehanna over the Shocks Mill Bridge to the west side, go up through New Cumberland, Enola, across, Rockville bridge, to Harrisburg Station, back down to Marietta, Columbia, Lancaster, back on to Amtrak at Lancaster and then end in PHL.

I am tempted on this. I may need to see if I can get to PHL from Aberdeen or Baltimore that morning.

Do you think Amtrak s standard cancellation policy applies?
You are correct about the routing. It will not be straight back from Harrisburg to Philly on the Keystone Line. It will be via the Columbia Secondary.
I don;t know about refund policy. Maybe Anthony knows if he is within earshot somewhere.

I wish they had scheduled this trip even a week earlier. If they had, some of us western types who were already in CHI for the Gathering could conceivably have stuck around for it. But I can't be away that long. And now that an eastbound cross-country trip takes at least 4 nights (including an enforced night in CHI, since we can't count on connecting from the EB to anything), it takes too much time. Of course, I could always (shudder) fly, but ... it's a plot against us westerners, I tells ya :)

I am seriously considering the trip. Maybe a mini-gathering. :eek:

I got my ticket for it.

I learned that the train will have two Amfleet Food Service cars which will have drinks and non-perishable items. And of course the ticket price includes the box lunch mentioned earlier in this thread.

The passenger equipment is supposed to be Horizon cars.

I got my ticket for it.
I learned that the train will have two Amfleet Food Service cars which will have drinks and non-perishable items. And of course the ticket price includes the box lunch mentioned earlier in this thread.

The passenger equipment is supposed to be Horizon cars.
Horizon's in the NEC??!! :eek:

Booked.

Edit: It's a pity Amtrak didn't try to work in an upsell of some sort; even a Horizon Cafe with BC (or an Amfleet Cafe) would probably have still sold.

Edit2: Just saw Jis's post. Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a find! Thanks for posting that link. This routing tells me there are some railfans hidden in Amtrak's marketing department, for sure! What a unique opportunity to ride some very rare mileage for as mentioned a reasonable charge, ostensibly as a "leaf-peeper" train. Didn't know Amtrak was into sponsoring their own railfantrips, until I saw this. Usually a train like this is sponsored by some NRHS chapter.....

I haven't ridden on the Port Road since the Washington section of Amtrak's Broadway Limited operated over it..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back