Amtrak Cascades equipment future

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With plans to resume the Point Defiance route next spring after the implementation of PTC, does anyone know what the plans are for replacing the lost equipment from the derailment, the Charger locomotive and Talgo set?

What happened to the Charger locomotive, I assume it was scrapped?

I know the Talgo set is a total loss, so what are the plans to replace it?

What do you mean by "plans to replace it"? The equipment was destroyed. They're not going to be ordering any new Talgos just to replace that one set anytime soon. That equipment was lost and now they have slightly less fewer Talgos and one fewer Charger. That's pretty much it.

What do you mean by "plans to replace it"? The equipment was destroyed. They're not going to be ordering any new Talgos just to replace that one set anytime soon. That equipment was lost and now they have slightly less fewer Talgos and one fewer Charger. That's pretty much it.
There's no need to be so smug. I spoke plain simple English. I mean exactly what I asked.

The WSDOT page specifically says Amtrak has committed to replace the lost equipment.

The crash damaged the railroad trestle over Interstate 5 and some signal equipment adjacent to the bridge. Sound Transit, the owner of the facility, will repair this damage and Amtrak has committed to paying for the repairs. Amtrak also has committed to replacing the locomotive and rail cars destroyed in the crash. Amtrak will be technically able to run service on the corridor after repairs are completed, appropriate inspections conducted and permissions granted for operation.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/questions-answers-derailment.htm

There's no need to be so smug. I spoke plain simple English. I mean exactly what I asked.

The WSDOT page specifically says Amtrak has committed to replace the lost equipment.

The crash damaged the railroad trestle over Interstate 5 and some signal equipment adjacent to the bridge. Sound Transit, the owner of the facility, will repair this damage and Amtrak has committed to paying for the repairs. Amtrak also has committed to replacing the locomotive and rail cars destroyed in the crash. Amtrak will be technically able to run service on the corridor after repairs are completed, appropriate inspections conducted and permissions granted for operation.
I sincerely apologize that I came off as smug or sounded like I was belittling your question. I was just trying to say that they don't necessarily need to replace that equipment. The Cascades has been doing fine without that train set for many months, so I was under the impression that they weren't going to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there are those two Wisconsin Talgoes that may be used to replace the lost set and get one more set.

Are they in service now? Available or unavailable for Pacific NW?
The two Talgo sets in question are last I knew at the Amtrak Shops in Beech Grove. But I THINK and THINK being strongly used here, that one set was moved to be set up for Cascades service. Someone else may be able to confirm that.

I sincerely apologize that I came off as smug or sounded like I was belittling your question. I was just trying to say that they don't necessarily need to replace that equipment. The Cascades has been doing fine without that train set for many months, so I was under the impression that they weren't going to replace it.
Amtrak did say that they would replace the equipment. Although I have my personal feelings about that.

Actually, there are those two Wisconsin Talgoes that may be used to replace the lost set and get one more set.

They have never seen a single day of service anywhere yet. Allegedly at least one is getting refurbished for service in the Cascades Corridor. But haven't hear much about it lately.

They have never seen a single day of service anywhere yet. Allegedly at least one is getting refurbished for service in the Cascades Corridor. But haven't hear much about it lately.
I did hear that as well. But I think that is an unconfirmed rumor.

They are doing fine without the train set and locomotive because they want back to the old 4 trains daily between Seattle and Portland schedule. With the Point Defiance bypass route, the plan is to run 6 daily trains, which requires the 7 trainsets they previously had.

I know I have seen plenty of pictures/videos of Amtrak Superliner cars being used on Cascades services since the derailment, probably at least partly due to the loss of one of the Talgo sets.

I know the 2 Oregon Talgo sets were acquired a number of years before they were really needed, but it helped with maintaining Talgo service during maintenance downtimes. Before the 2 new Oregon Talgo sets, Amtrak Cascades routes were routinely subbed by Amtrak Superliners when a set had to go out of service for maintenance. That was largely eliminated when the two Oregon sets were added.

If/when the service goes to 6x daily like was originally planned, the equipment shortage will become an even bigger issue.

I also know the Siemens Chargers ordered are supposed to fully replace the F59PHI locomotives, yet F59PHIs are still operating, probably due to the loss of one of the locomotive and perhaps maintenance/reliability issues with the Chargers (I'm only speculating on this last point, as in maybe they are suffering from teething problems because they're new).

Either way, the important thing is the lost Talgo set and Siemens Charger locomotive were owned by Washington State, so Amtrak owes some sort of compensation to the State of Washington, whether it is new equipment or financial compensation.

What's the hold up with the Talgo sets at Beech Grove?
Probably some normal par for the course Amtrak style clusterflub?

Things have gone pretty silent for many months now, so it is unlikely that anyone in the know wants to talk about it.

They went back to basically the old schedule after the accident. For the few weeks they did run the new schedule after the accident, they had to switch things up and basically run everything between Eugene and Portland with some Horizons to free up the Talgos. I think they need another trainset to run the new schedule. BNSF wouldn't increase allow new service until the Point Defiance Bypass went into service, but now there is an equipment shortage, I think. I had heard they were at least talking about buying at least one of the Wisconset sets.

The WI set is still owned by Talgo & is just being stored in BG by Amtrak. So I presume in order for the Cascades to use it, an agreement (lease or sale) has to be struck up with Talgo. There are also a few other states looking to acquire the sets.

peter

I thought there was a time when California was looking at them but I was under the impression that they stopped when they went in for the large rolling stock order.

Then there was Michigan mostly as an interim thing while they waited to get their new Midwest cars. But that too fell through was the impression I had.

Who else?

Regarding the derailed and bashed up Charger, until Thirdrail comes on and gives us an update I guess we do not know for sure.
I read somewhere that 1402 is being rebuilt at some point but I can’t find the original article, so take that with a grain of salt.

The Wisconsin Talgo did move within the last year to Colorado for testing by the department of transportation. Now what those tests were I don't know.

The Wisconsin Talgo did move within the last year to Colorado for testing by the department of transportation. Now what those tests were I don't know.
My understanding was that the testing included a charger as well.

So Talgo just let the equipment languish all those years? I guess it was not feasible in whatever their configuration was, to ship them to Europe or elsewhere to be used....
default_unsure.png

So Talgo just let the equipment languish all those years? I guess it was not feasible in whatever their configuration was, to ship them to Europe or elsewhere to be used....
default_unsure.png
Kinda held up in a lawsuit. Talgo got screwed on this one.

But this is the latest info:

Amtrak plans to lease two articulated

Series 8 trainsets from Tren Articulado

Ligero Goicoechea Oriol (Talgo) to

support its Cascade intercity service.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-0 ... -01959.pdf

Back