Amtrak Cape Codder Service Restored in 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an article in Railfan and Railroad magazine that I found interesting and thought that I would share it with all. In 1996 the Amtrak Cape Codder was discontinued. In the following years segments of the line were restored but trains never traveled the entire route.

This year a collaboration of the MBTA, Mass DOT and the Cape Code Regional transit authority resulted in a new train called the Cape Flyer. The inaugural runs in May of this year were an overwhelming success and the ridership exceeded all expectations. The Cape Flyer departs Boston South station and makes stops at Braintree, Middleborough, Buzzards Bay, and Hyannis. The restarting of the Amtrak Cape Codder route shows that if there is a will there is a way. This experience should provide hope for cities that no longer have train service. While the Amtrak Cape Codder may have run farther up the Cape, train service from Boston to Hyannis/Cape Cod is now a reality.

Info here: www.capeflyer.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back