Amtrak Branding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't open the link--it says "Can't reach this page."

Is it the link? Or my computer? Wanted to point it out just in case.
default_smile.png

Thanks--it just opened for me, too--not sure what I did wrong the first time.
default_smile.png

But why on earth is Amtrak spending resources on writing a "history book" when its current status is in disarray?
default_huh.png

Or is this intended as a virtual "coffee table" book to remember better times when the whole thing tanks and disappears into the NEC and a bunch of short lines connected by pickup trucks?
default_mosking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This information is something that the legal department has to maintain anyway for purposes of managing protection of IPR. It costs very little to make a brochure out of the information that is already maintained internally.

It is also not at all clear that the status of Amtrak branding is in disarray in a legal sense at present in any way.

What they do under that brand is a different matter. But that should not cause one to not have the infrastructure in place to protect the legal status of the brand(s).

jis--

I meant the train system being in disarray, not the branding. Sorry, it was just my feeble attempt at a joke
default_smile.png

I did not know the legal department had to keep all that stuff--it certainly is easier and cheaper to throw stuff together that you have hanging around the office into a brochure than it would be to start from scratch.
default_smile.png

jis--

I meant the train system being in disarray, not the branding. Sorry, it was just my feeble attempt at a joke
default_smile.png

I did not know the legal department had to keep all that stuff--it certainly is easier and cheaper to throw stuff together that you have hanging around the office into a brochure than it would be to start from scratch.
default_smile.png
I have a bit of experience with this as I represented the fortune 10 company that I worked for as their principal designated representative at various open standards organizations (e.g. OASIS, DMTF, Object Management Group and such), and we had to provide each with a license to use our approved branding information for inclusion in their literature. I had to get approved info from the legal department and send them over. In the process I also learned that the legal department had to keep track of all historical branding information in order to protect from misuse of them. Since over the years the company had acquired dozens and dozens of companies it had to keep track of also all the acquired brands and protect the ones they did not explicitly decide to give away. Funnily, sometimes they chose to use an acquired brand for branding a new product which was far removed from the original product that the brand represented too.

jis--

default_smile.png

default_smile.png
Also, if the book, brochure, etc. is already created it is very simple to turn it into a PDF which can be distributed for pennies, free of charge.

Which is one reason why Amtrak schedules are now created using the same format and software as they always have been in the digital age--but converted to PDF instead of being printed on paper. As someone who creates brochures and catalogs for print, and as a train rider, I'd prefer a schedule I could hold in my hands without the necessity of a "device," but I understand the economics of it all.

jis--

default_smile.png

default_smile.png
Also, if the book, brochure, etc. is already created it is very simple to turn it into a PDF which can be distributed for pennies, free of charge.

Which is one reason why Amtrak schedules are now created using the same format and software as they always have been in the digital age--but converted to PDF instead of being printed on paper. As someone who creates brochures and catalogs for print, and as a train rider, I'd prefer a schedule I could hold in my hands without the necessity of a "device," but I understand the economics of it all.
Why not just print the e-schedule out?

jis--

default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Why not just print the e-schedule out?
It's a different experience to be able to get and read a pre-cut to dimensions, pre-folded schedule, possibly stapled together with glossy paper (if it's a corridor service). Or to be able to flip through the system timetable, look at all the trains and routes, and the advertisements too...

Interesting Amtrak has plans to go back to phase 3 livery as shown on the V2 deliveries.
Is that still the intent? I get the vibe that Richard Anderson doesn't really care what Amtrak has done over the last 45 years, and is looking to completely rebrand the railroad.
That is the plan for at least the single-level long distance trains. It's part of the whole "Amtrak America" brand, which should include all the Viewliners and Amfleet IIs. The actual timeline is another story.

Amtrak branding through the years...........still miss the pointless arrow.
Me too....I much prefer the original logo to that present blob....and the original conductor's hat and badge as well....much classier, IMHO...
Just so you know, pointless arrows are on all the V-II bag-dorms and sleepers.

Back