Amtrak App/Mobile Site Useless

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
Its been a while since I used the app and mobile website but this past weekend I needed to make changes to my reservation. Correct me if I'm wrong but in this latest iteration of the App, your reservations are NOT listed even if you bought online and have to physically enter your reservation number and phone number?? Also, their mobile version of amtrak.com isn't any better and I had to open up my MacBook to complete what I needed.

Maybe Anderson can bring some airline touch to the App and mobile website.

Well, 1840 this evening and the app looks ok on my Samsung Galaxy...both upcoming reservations/tickets are visible on the home page. Favorite stations are visible in the list.

The mobile website opens ok as well but, I didn't log in and try anything.

Well, 1840 this evening and the app looks ok on my Samsung Galaxy...both upcoming reservations/tickets are visible on the home page. Favorite stations are visible in the list.

The mobile website opens ok as well but, I didn't log in and try anything.
I have an iPhone and it does not list any of my reservations even when logged in.

I had several disappear on the app recently and also could not cancel 2 of them online. I was told it’s because they had <a note> attached - because I had IID’d myself as a PWD. That did not make sense since I had ID’d myself as that on all my reservations and some were still accessible on both the app & website.

I don't trust the Mobile App enough to depend on it for displaying my e-Ticket when needed. I use it to just capture the e-Ticket in my Apple Wallet. Additionally, I save away a PDF of the e-Ticket in iBook. This is specially useful for Sleeper tickets, since in their infinite wisdom the designers of the App forgot to include the accommodation information in what they send to the Wallet.

In general Amtrak's customer facing e-venture remains an unholy mess, with a new layer of lipstick on the pig.

I too save a PDF on my phone. Plus I still printout my paper copy. On regionals, I hang my folded paper ticket on the tray with the QR code showing. Makes it easy to just lift it for the conductor to scan.

yeah the app when working is great but honestly it's had so many problems over the years INCLUDING that it doesn't match up your reservations with the website. That's just ridiculous! With all the apps out there that do so many things you'd think this would be a slam dunk. It's basically been inconsistent for me over the years. Lately it's been ok, but I've had issues here and there too - Samsung Galaxy user here.

I don't trust the Mobile App enough to depend on it for displaying my e-Ticket when needed. I use it to just capture the e-Ticket in my Apple Wallet. Additionally, I save away a PDF of the e-Ticket in iBook. This is specially useful for Sleeper tickets, since in their infinite wisdom the designers of the App forgot to include the accommodation information in what they send to the Wallet.

In general Amtrak's customer facing e-venture remains an unholy mess, with a new layer of lipstick on the pig.
I could not have said it better myself!

I too save a PDF on my phone. Plus I still printout my paper copy. On regionals, I hang my folded paper ticket on the tray with the QR code showing. Makes it easy to just lift it for the conductor to scan.
Yes, I'm having to print my tickets as well or use the emailed version that I take a screen cap of the barcode. It seems to have gotten from bad to ugly in the last couple of years with the App and reservations not showing. Forget about trying to make any changes.

What made me mad was I identified as being deaf/HoH and had to CALL to cancel my reservation-presumably because I had identified as a person with disability.

I did send a complaint but have not heard anything back from them.

Sheesh, I just went to look at the details, on the app, for one of my reservations for tomorrow and it said my reservation was no longer valid and would be removed, and it was, from the app.

I better not have any problems tomorrow.

I did not have trouble using my paper tickets for the 3 tickets that had previously disappeared, thank goodness.

I had a reservation disappear and I went to my reservations (I usually book many at a time) to cancel it and it wasn't there. I went to my EMAIL folder where I keep the confirmations I get from booking on line and it was there - so to cancel it I had to input the reservation #, etc. What a crock - if I didn't do that and just assumed I had no reservation I would've lost money. I usually print out my reservation for my Chicago departure but for my return trip from SJM I never print it - they all know me and check me in without it.

OTOH, I would not say that the App is entirely useless. I have not yet lost a reservation from the App that was made using the App. It is very handy to make last minute reservations specially on the NEC. But still there is always the fallback email, but I have never had to use that fall back on the NEC for reservations made using the App yet. OTOH, what happens with reservations made using the website viz-a-viz the App is an enduring mystery to me. At least any AGR reservation is guaranteed to not appear in the App, though in most cases I can bring it up using the PNR. Now a reservation that was partially cancelled and repurposed for another trip is a bridge too far. One better have a printed paper trail for that.

And yet all of these work seamlessly on the few airlines Apps that I use, with United being the most consistent with the most convoluted of changes that I have made so far. It is actually kind of fun to watch the information change on the App in real time as an agent makes changes to the PNR that are too convoluted to make using the App.

I put the reservation in my iPhone wallet, and the tickets are always easily accessed.

I have 5 reservations coming up, all made online. They showed up in my app upon logging into my account. This is on an Android phone (OG Pixel).
All of mine initially showed up - about 10-12. Then while waiting for my return trip, the reservation along with 4 other ones disappeared.Then about a week later I needed to cancel two of the ones that disappeared and could see them online but was unable to cancel them - was told to call.

I don't trust the Mobile App enough to depend on it for displaying my e-Ticket when needed. I use it to just capture the e-Ticket in my Apple Wallet. Additionally, I save away a PDF of the e-Ticket in iBook.
I do the exact same thing every time. I know I can depend on Wallet and iBook, and it's always nice to have all my tickets and boarding passes in one place. I use the Amtrak site and app to book my tickets, not to access them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back