Amtrak app: BC-to-coach fare glitch

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I’ve been checking fares GRR-FTW in mid-August and have found the BC fare $9 cheaper than coach (BC on the Pere Marquette, coach on the Texas Eagle.) When I select BC and modify the Pere Marquette accommodation from BC to coach, the resulting coach-coach fare is $26 cheaper than the one initially offered. I noticed that the TE coach fare under the BC accommodation was $26 cheaper than the one under the coach accommodation. Since when has Amtrak been offering discounted coach fares to BC passengers on LDs that lack BC? Doesn’t make much sense from a revenue-centric perspective.

I’ve been checking fares GRR-FTW in mid-August and have found the BC fare $9 cheaper than coach (BC on the Pere Marquette, coach on the Texas Eagle.) When I select BC and modify the Pere Marquette accommodation from BC to coach, the resulting coach-coach fare is $26 cheaper than the one initially offered. I noticed that the TE coach fare under the BC accommodation was $26 cheaper than the one under the coach accommodation. Since when has Amtrak been offering discounted coach fares to BC passengers on LDs that lack BC? Doesn’t make much sense from a revenue-centric perspective.
Firstly, you're not taking the Pere Marquette to FTW, since that's Fort Worth, TX. And the Eagle doesn't share any stops with the PM (except for CHI), so how would the two trains show up for the same itinerary? And the Eagle does not have business class, so what does it mean for it to be "offering discounted coach fares to BC passengers". How are you a BC passenger if you're traveling coach? And they are two different routes, so even if they did stop at some of the same stations, you still couldn't really compare fares between the two. Sorry if this is really obvious, but you lost me.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, you're not taking the Pere Marquette to FTW, since that's Fort Worth, TX. And the Eagle doesn't share any stops with the PM (except for CHI), so how would the two trains show up for the same itinerary? And the Eagle does not have business class, so what does it mean for it to be "offering discounted coach fares to BC passengers". How are you a BC passenger if you're traveling coach? And they are two different routes, so even if they did stop at some of the same stations, you still couldn't really compare fares between the two. Sorry if this is really obvious, but you lost me.
default_wacko.png
I wasn’t clear. I’m not comparing itineraries. This is within the itinerary of Pere Marquette GRR-CHI, Texas Eagle CHI-FTW, booked as one reservation. I’m comparing accommodations and pointing out quirks in pricing.
Requesting fares GRR-FTW for August 16, 2018, results in this screen:

IMG_2444.jpg

The coach selection is $166—$34 GRR-CHI, $132 CHI-FTW.

Within the BC selection, the $157 fare breaks down into $51 BC GRR-CHI, $106 coach CHI-FTW. Within the BC selection, it is possible to change the GRR-CHI accommodation from BC to coach, lowering the GRR-CHI fare to $34. So instead of paying $132 for coach on the Texas Eagle, one would pay $106.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now it all makes sense.
default_smile.png

Yeah, so I guess BC is just cheaper for whatever reason that day (most likely remaining seats), and that's why the whole thing is cheaper. That doesn't seem like a bug to me.

The coach selection is $166—$34 GRR-CHI, $132 CHI-FTW.

Within the BC selection, the $157 fare breaks down into $51 BC GRR-CHI, $106 coach CHI-FTW. Within the BC selection, it is possible to change the GRR-CHI accommodation from BC to coach, lowering the GRR-CHI fare to $34. So instead of paying $132 for coach on the Texas Eagle, one would pay $106.
Just noticed that part of the post. Seems like what's probably happening is that the Business option is showing Premium fares, the Coach option is showing the Flex or Value fares, and on that day, the former happens to be cheaper (even though it's considered better).

Back