Amtrak and Brightline (previously Virgin Trains)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NES28

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I see in Trains Newswire today that TriRail is planning service to the Miami Central Station, as soon as they can get integrating PTC sorted out. Can/should Amtrak Silver trains be doing this too? They could use the Virgin high level platforms. Moving to the Airport do not seem to be going well. When Virgin service to Orlando/Disney starts should Amtrak trains go onto their tracks at Orlando? BTW, when TriRail extends to downtown Miami will they maintain service to the Airport (maybe shuttle trains)?

Amtrak doesn't even want to relocate a few miles to the Airport, I doubt they would want to go even further. Besides, I am pretty sure to avoid STB regulations, Brightline cannot have interaction with interstate railroads.

The last plan I saw for Tri-Rail involved sending 26 trains downtown and 24 trains to the Airport. Tri-Rail will also run a shuttle train between the Metrorail transfer station and the Miami Airport for the 26 trains that continue downtown.

Back