Amfleet II vs Amfleet I seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotisch

Engineer
Hello. I know that the Pennsylvanian, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and Empire Service operate mixed consists of both Amfleet I and Amfleet II cars. Does that mean that next time I travel on one of those routes, I will get the better seats and legroom in the Amfleet II? OR did Amtrak modify those particular Amfleet IIs to match the seating in the Amfleet I?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak of the Pennsylvanian, on which I ride frequently (and usually in Business Class), but the regular coaches are typically Amfleet II while Business Class is Amfleet I. BC is not a great deal different than Amfleet II as it is 2-2 seating but offer a tad more room. I'm not even sure the seats are a whole lot better, but I take it because there tend to be fewer passengers and I'm more likely to get a seat to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Empire Service is an entirely Amfleet I train. On the Pennsylvanian, typically all but one coach is Amfleet II and the Business Class, Cafe, and last coach car are Amfleet I. The Maple Leaf runs with a mixture of cars as well, although I am not sure of the exact set-up. I have never been on the Adirondack, but it is my understanding that the cars are mixed on that train as well. On these trains, Amfleet IIs have more legroom and legrests so they are typically considered nicer cars.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

On the mixed consists like the ADK/Maple Leaf/Penn the general idea (generally, there may be times this doesn't happen) is to put the passengers for the further destinations in the A-2s and use the A-1 for the shorter segment like NYP-ALB, NYP-PHL. Also, seasonally may add/drop an additional A-1 at Albany to/from NYP with the engine change. A-1 BC on the Penn, Split cafe/BC on the ML, no BC on the ADK.

The Palmetto to/from Savannah shares the same consist as the Pennsylvanian. If you are not going the full distance, or most of it, they will point you to the A1 car. I learned the hard way, boarding in Sav, start of the route, going r/t Fayetteville. Just a joy ride. They send you to the A1 car, and have all the seats with a viewable window blocked off for groups of 2 or more. Traveling solo, it was not good. Boarding in Fayetteville, it was not a problem as by then there re more people getting off than getting on. So the next times, I booked BC going up, and coach coming back. Leg room both ways. CJ

Carolyn Jane that is one of my top favorite day trips. Plus it helps the Palmetto tends to keep good time and there is a good amount of things to do in Fayetteville within walking distance of the station.

Back