am I the only one bothered by pajamas in dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the night I have no issue about wandering down to the Superliner Sleeper Toilet in my Resting Shorts and T-Shirt. But except for an emergency I wouldn't think of venturing into any other cars, especially the Diner, like that. :eek: :p

I remember back when I was a little kid, totally confused over the one "toilet chair" in each NYC subway car. It was out there, amongst all the all seats in the cars; no privacy. Who would dare to use it?

Today, if such still existed, I think anyone would use it without a moment's thought, and the other passengers wouldn't care.
I've never heard of that or seen any pictures of a toilet chair in a subway car.

Only if the pajamas are appropriately Amtrak branded. :giggle:

-------------------

I remember back when I was a little kid, totally confused over the one "toilet chair" in each NYC subway car. It was out there, amongst all the all seats in the cars; no privacy. Who would dare to use it?

Today, if such still existed, I think anyone would use it without a moment's thought, and the other passengers wouldn't care.
I've never heard of that or seen any pictures of a toilet chair in a subway car.
When I lived in China it was sadly not uncommon to see people use the small gaps between the cars (as the train was one open one end to the other like what they're proposing in NYC) as toilets and this wasn't some late night drunk train thing it was during more regular hours. Sadly, I'd see it at least twice a week.

When I lived in China it was sadly not uncommon to see people use the small gaps between the cars (as the train was one open one end to the other like what they're proposing in NYC) as toilets and this wasn't some late night drunk train thing it was during more regular hours. Sadly, I'd see it at least twice a week.
I was driving from DC to Detroit last year. Somewhere in PA and OH, I saw people pulling over on the shoulder of the interstate and go into the woods to relief themselves.(or were they there to dump bodies? I don't know... I just saw them stopping and go into the woods) I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go... no matter what country you're in? :( Same can be said about Manhattan on Saturday night at 2AM? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
JayPea, please report what you see on your 10 day, 6 train Amtrak trip, in terms of pajamas and animals, particularly chihuahuas, in the dining car. Thank you.
No joke, I planned to do just that for purposes of this topic. :lol:

If that is the plan, please send me your itinerary. I'll do my best to make sure your trains resemble the Cardinal, Lake Shore and Silver Star and this conversation will be moot!

(and cue the "PJs in the cafe car" thread in 6...5...4...)

How many wearing hats,caps,sombreros or turbines?

Pardon.....I meant Turban but choo cho Charlie got it right with the propeller cap.

When I was growing up, my parents always taught me to "Dress Up" when traveling. For my first flight (Back in 1986 when I was 13), my step-dad wore slacks and a button down shirt, and my mom wore something sensible, and this was only for a flight from Kansas City to Tulsa!! When I am in my sleeping car room, I will either be in Shorts or jogging pants. But when it is time to head for the dining car, out come the Khakis and a Polo shirt. If it is a trip to the lounge, it is Jeans and a Polo. If I am on Acela in First Class, it is ALWAYS Slacks, button down shirt, and a Jacket.

This guy pulls it off! :D

mmhPeTGpU8QJYhUpLvGrjng.jpg

now that I think about it, I've sat across from a real Amish couple in the dining car a year or two ago.

they were real nice and dressed in the traditional impeccable Amish clothes. not much was said because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to engage in small talk with them. They were travelling in coach. I did notice them leaving a rather large tip when paying the bill. IIRC, it was a $5 bill and 2 or 3 $1 bills.

It matters little to me, I would never wear jammies to the diner. To each their own. I always dressed for First Class when I flew. No one dresses to travel anymore. I would never up for the train. Let people be people.

I do stand by NO SHOES, NO SHIRTS, NO SERVICE.
An old neighborhood bar I used to frequent had a sign simply stating

" Shirt and shoes required, bra and panties optional"

The Amish are usually very friendly on the Trains and IINM pay for everything in Cash!??
I wish I know more about the Amish. I know they don't/can't drive cars. But I've seen them on trains and airplanes(Delta Airlines). I'm not really sure how that works.

The Amish are usually very friendly on the Trains and IINM pay for everything in Cash!??
I wish I know more about the Amish. I know they don't/can't drive cars. But I've seen them on trains and airplanes(Delta Airlines). I'm not really sure how that works.
There are different sects of the Amish. Some are ok with technology, some are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back