Alan Burden (AlanB)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the one year anniversary of Alan's passing. His mother, brother and sister spent the day together today. My thoughts are with Alan's family and the "family" of OTOL/AU members who were on the Crescent a year ago today.
Penny, we'll raise a glass of Chard to Alan in Schenectady on Friday over dinner.

I oddly had the thought of Alan's passing a week ago or so and knew the sad anniversary was coming soon, I couldn't remember and probably chose to not remember the date. I still hope that those switches are lined and locked normal for him and he hits nothing but Clear Signals.

It's still not the same without him here.

Tomorrow will be 3 years. 😥

I am on my way home from an OTOL fest/excursion, Most of us that were on the Crescent on 7/12/18 in Alabama were also on a train to Roanoke yesterday and back from Roanoke today. I believe the 5 of us will always have a special bond because of what we witnessed that day. I am in fairly regular communication with Alan's sister and Alan's mother. Grace is still around but probably unable to travel without assistance from a family member. She is currently living with her daughter. I regularly send regards from OTOL and AU members to the family.

I had a few glasses of Chardonnay on Friday while on the Silver Meteor in honor of Alan. 🍷🍷🍷

I am on my way home from an OTOL fest/excursion, Most of us that were on the Crescent on 7/12/18 in Alabama were also on a train to Roanoke yesterday and back from Roanoke today. I believe the 5 of us will always have a special bond because of what we witnessed that day. I am in fairly regular communication with Alan's sister and Alan's mother. Grace is still around but probably unable to travel without assistance from a family member. She is currently living with her daughter. I regularly send regards from OTOL and AU members to the family.

I had a few glasses of Chardonnay on Friday while on the Silver Meteor in honor of Alan. 🍷🍷🍷
I was thinking of you today knowing you're on the OTOL fest/excursion. ((((HUGS))))

To be precise it was half a bottle shared between the two of us and of course the complementary one that came with the dinner. 🍷

So I keep an elderly iMac in the kitchen that 99% of the time displays a webpage I have set up for calendar/weather/etc display for the family. One of the elements on the screen is a rotating picture from my library. Just wandered into the Kitchen and Alan greeted me. This is from the Chicago gathering in 2013:
1626400281788.png

Here's the original image - I haven't looked at pictures from that trip in quite some time...
Joliet 10 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

So I keep an elderly iMac in the kitchen that 99% of the time displays a webpage I have set up for calendar/weather/etc display for the family. One of the elements on the screen is a rotating picture from my library. Just wandered into the Kitchen and Alan greeted me. This is from the Chicago gathering in 2013:
View attachment 23552

Here's the original image - I haven't looked at pictures from that trip in quite some time...
Joliet 10 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr
Our Gathering trip to Joliet!

I just found posts about AlanB tonight! I wasn't active on AU for a few years so totally missed this sad information. I remember his name so well and how he expertly commented on and helped the AU community on so many posts from before he passed on. Very sad news. I also viewed a memorial video of him that was posted and read a bit about his funeral service. I noticed quite a few AU members attended it. He was clearly a beloved member of this forum. May he RIP.

Last edited:
Back