Airport Codes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, at this busy airport, no delays due to a plane getting stuck in the mud. :help: Though passengers had to spend the night in a hotel and will fly out today.

http://6abc.com/news/plane-gets-stuck-in-mud-at-new-castle-airport/569347/

This is "my" airport, though I haven't flown into or out of it since the early 1960's. I was hoping to do a "points run" last year - fly to ATL, get off the plane, stay at that gate and get right back on for trip home. :ph34r: :p

Speaking of Denver, I once saw it when flying over at 30,000 feet. DEN has 5 runways (3 going one direction and 2 going at right angles to those) - but no runway crosses or touches another runway!
Denver now has six runways. Four north/south and two east/west designed like a pinwheel. Therefore you never have to taxi very far when landing or taking off to get to/from the terminal. Unless under extreme weather. ORD was designed similar with more diagonals, but that has caused problems for obvious reasons. Now if you come from the northwest, you'll get the fun long taxi from the far north runway 27R.

I remember one night I flew Braniff from Denver to Dallas, from the old Stapleton Field....we were sent to runway 17L for takeoff...a very rare occurrence. That was such a long taxi, that our Captain came on the PA after a while and joked with us that, no, we weren't going to taxi all the way to Dallas.... :p

I've got a trip coming up MIA / IAH / YYC / YVR -the Canadian- YYZ / IAH / MIA.

Here's another anomaly regarding airports: Cincinnati is actually in Covington, KY; hence the code CVG.

My favorite is GEG - Spokane, WA. I'm sure there's a reason for GEG, but it certainly isn't apparent!!

MOB - Mobile, AL

JAN - Jackson, MS

GPT - Gulfport/Biloxi, MS

BTR - Baton Rouge

These didn't make the list.

There is a (false) urban legend about the origin of the OGG airport code for Kahului, Maui airport. The story was that, prior to the widespread use of airport codes, the baggage handler at the then tiny Maui airport was a fellow named Boggs. When flights would arrive at Honolulu, luggage heading onward to Maui would get a tag that said Boggs, and off they would go. When the official, three-letter IATA codes were introduced, the Maui officials were able to convince the authorities to honor the long-time bag handler by assigning the code OGG to Maui.

That is such a great story, and I actually believed it for many years, but sadly, it's false. The OGG code actually honors a pioneering Hawaiian Islands pilot, Bertram Hogg. Not a bad story, but not as good as naming it for an airport baggage handler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back