AGR Trip Planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want to reserve(AGR) for 2010, when do they release the black out dates for next year?

For an AGR trip, what is the hurry? Assuming that they are using the old rules where they will give you last seat/room for the same price as the first, why rush?

If I want to reserve(AGR) for 2010, when do they release the black out dates for next year?

For an AGR trip, what is the hurry? Assuming that they are using the old rules where they will give you last seat/room for the same price as the first, why rush?
Planning - hotels, air fare, cruises & some one mentioned the possibility of limiting AGR seats/rooms per car!

But thanx for bringing that up! I was wondering the advantage of a voucher or AGR PTS. With AGR, not as much emphasis on how early you book!? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make Amtrak reservations (paid or award) 11 months in advance. Publishing blackout dates wouldn't make you be able to reserve farther in advance than that.

You can make Amtrak reservations (paid or award) 11 months in advance. Publishing blackout dates wouldn't make you be able to reserve farther in advance than that.

No, but it would allow me to delete possible BLACK OUT DATES for my reservations? :unsure:

Planning.

No, but it would allow me to delete possible BLACK OUT DATES for my reservations? :unsure:
Look at the calendar and avoid all major holidays. You can even get some idea by looking at this year's blackout dates.

Look at the calendar and avoid all major holidays. You can even get some idea by looking at this year's blackout dates.

Look at this year's dates AND look at last year's. I'll bet you will be able to predict next year's black out dates.

They release blackout dates whenever they choose to.

Here's some info on historical AGR blackout dates:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11007264-post7.html

In the year with the most blackout dates (57 days), the following were blacked out:

Mid-December-day after New Year's

MLK weekend (Fri-Mon)

Pres Day weekend (Fri-Mon)

Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

Memorial Day weekend (Fri-Mon)

Labor Day weekend (Fri-Mon)

Columbus Day weekend (Fri-Mon)

Veteran's Day weekend (Fri-Mon)

Thanksgiving Week

More recently, the blackout dates have been less severe. However, if you avoid planning a trip for those holiday periods, you should be fine.

Back