AGR Ticket Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Since lots of our "pros" are enroute to, or fixing to saddle up for the gathering, thought Id mention that today I was able to have an agent @ the station change the roomettes assigned for an AGR award trip next week, he also was able to change the paid portion through Amtrak.com.

Its my understanding that the computer still randomly assigns roomettes and bedrooms when booking sleepers, even the agent @ amtrak.com I talked with when I made the rez told me that I would have to chan ge on board through the conductor and SCA, is this Amtrak policy or are we all able to request room assignments with the new system in place?(I changed rooms in the basement for upstairs, which I prefer since I dont like being by the bathrooms, just in case, the family room can get loud if brats are aboard and I dont particularly like the view of the lower level in most yards and cities! :lol: )

Booking through Amtrak.com always sees the computer randomly assigning one of the rooms at the current bucket level. Although there is some method to the madness, as the computer will spread the rooms evenly between cars.

Any agent who is not asked by the passenger for a specific room, will also randomly let the computer pick the room at the time of booking. However, the agent can grab any available room if so requested by the customer. Some agents even know how to swap the bucket level that a room is in with another room.

And that agent that modified your AGR reservation may have some explaining to do. He/she is not allowed to do that. You should have called AGR for that, or asked the AGR agent at the time of booking for the room that you wanted.

the agent @ amtrak.com I talked with when I made the rez told me
How did you talk to an agent at amtrak.com? :huh: (Or do you have connections!) The agents are on the phone at Amtrak Reservations (for paid reservations) or AGR (for AGR awards).

Amtrak.com is the online computer system! I have tried talking back to my keyboard - but it doesn't pay attention! :lol:

And yes, the computer randomly assigns the room. An agent can switch the rooms without affecting the bucket. However not all agents know how to do that, or some may know how but don't want to do "the extra work" that is involved to switch rooms!

:blink: Opps! Yeah, I did talk with a real,live agent @ Amtrak, also a real live one (they spoke English! :lol: )@ AGR!

Dont want to get any Amtrak employees in trouble so the agent will be called Agent X (not the one who posts here occasionaly!!) Appreciate the info from both of yall (I know you two pros arent on the LSL! ), wish Amtrak.com or the agent s would explain stuff like this, even though lots of us have been through it lots of times its still not clear as it could be! Yall have a ball in Beantown, wish I was on the way there myself! :( (and I too often talk to my keyboard!!!! :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back