AGR Points For Shopping time to post

Discussion in 'Amtrak Guest Rewards' started by the_traveler, Aug 27, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 27, 2019 #1

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

http://shop.amtrakguestrewards.com/faqs.html

Be aware that the time to “approved” is now 120 days! It used to be 60 days.

I found this out because I had purchases from Walmart in April and May that still showed as “pending”. So I contacted AGR. They said a retailer usually takes up to 120 days (and sometimes longer) to approve points. They even have this in the T&C.

However, I myself find this hard to believe. When I purchase on the AA or DL or UA shopping portals, the points usually post to my account on average within 3 days (or as soon as it ships). And this even includes Walmart!

2. Aug 27, 2019 #2

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

FWIW...here is my experience since last December(from purchase to posting):
    Barnes and Noble December-February 63 days
    Barnes and Noble December-March 63 days
    Best Buy January-April 103 days
    Sears March-May 80 days
    Smarthome June-July 33 days

3. Aug 27, 2019 #3

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I find it easy to believe because I've seen it firsthand. I realized I had some AGR points that were about to expire and I had something common I needed to purchase so it seemed like an easy fix to me. I found an approved retailer with a good price, used an appropriate browser, followed the link, made screenshots, and checked for confirmation. Everything seemed fine until months later when my points expired anyway because it took so long for my purchase to post.

4. Aug 27, 2019 #4

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

I had a similar experience with a hotel program. I made a purchase to stave off expiration, and it didn't post. But I called the hotel rewards program, and based on the fact that I clearly made the purchase with a reasonable amount of time to spare, they restored the points, so it didn't end badly.

oregon pioneer likes this.
  5. Aug 27, 2019 #5

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

Hotels know the competition is often only blocks away so encouraging loyalty is easier than for airlines. For Amtrak, they act like they are hoping everyone goes away although their individual employees often go out of their way to resolve issues.

oregon pioneer likes this.
  6. Aug 27, 2019 #6

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

To be fair to AGR they manually reinstated my points by request. That being said it truly boggles the mind to realize that 120 days is deemed acceptable for an automated process that most businesses can clear in a week or less.

7. Aug 27, 2019 #7

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

120 days seems absurdly long. I've had involvements with businesses that batch process at predetermined times, so I could live with a reasonable lag, but 120 is not reasonable.

8. Aug 28, 2019 #8

BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Service Attendant AU Supporter

The way companies do business these days turns my stomach. I do the survey thing, and have earned a lot of AGR points, but I get quite a chuckle when I don't qualify for a survey after I have already answered what I feel was the survey!

9. Sep 3, 2019 #9

D E K E R

D

D E K E R

Train Attendant

This has been my experience as well. So many "pre-qualifying" questions, only to end up being told you're not eligible. It's the main reason I stopped doing those surveys. I prefer to just earns points for shopping now and waiting patiently for the points to show up.

10. Sep 4, 2019 #10

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

I skip that type of survey completely as well as any that offer just a "chance to win ...".
    Others I skip are any surveys from profit companies that offer me nothing. Only if offered a specific benefit that I see as worthwhile or if I want to vent (I make the latter sarcastic). So, offer me points in a program I care about or $ credit and no "qualifying" and I'll do it. Else, it's the trashcan.

D E K E R and Bob Dylan like this.
  11. Sep 18, 2019 #11

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

Just as a follow-up:

On September 16, I made a purchase of flowers on the AA portal. The 1,000 miles posted today, September 18! Now if this was done via AGR, it would not post until January 2020!

12. Sep 23, 2019 #12

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

Update:

My purchases from Apple was just “approved”! So I will be getting 5,557 AGR points!

The purchases were on 6/25. So it “only” took 90 days!l:confused:

Bob Dylan likes this.