Aggressive Amtrak Conductor at Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article came out yesterday where an overzealous Amtrak conductor reportedly was trying to get his passengers on his train while at the other side of the platform an NJT was unloading. From the report it seems like the conductor was screaming at people to get out of the way.and being verbally abusive.

Article here:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Amtrak-Worker-Yells-at-NJ-Transit-Riders-Shut-Up-Youre-Not-My-Customer-Amid-Crowd-Chaos-Penn-Station-420093043.html.

This is only one more reason why this Amtrak conductor should have been equipped with a club, whip or taser. That should clear the way and make those mean NJT commuters move over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to venture a guess (and will not be wrong about it) over half these NJT pax were looking at phones, dragging their tails and not paying heed to where they were going. Hats off to the Amtrak Conductor; I would gladly ride with him.

This article came out yesterday where an overzealous Amtrak conductor reportedly was trying to get his passengers on his train while at the other side of the platform an NJT was unloading. From the report it seems like the conductor was screaming at people to get out of the way.and being verbally abusive.

Article here:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Amtrak-Worker-Yells-at-NJ-Transit-Riders-Shut-Up-Youre-Not-My-Customer-Amid-Crowd-Chaos-Penn-Station-420093043.html.

This is only one more reason why this Amtrak conductor should have been equipped with a club, whip or taser. That should clear the way and make those mean NJT commuters move over.
Are you being sarcastic or are you serious?

Article here:

I'm wondering that myself.

Article here:

I'm wondering that myself.
Ok now that I've had time to absorb Dennis' comments..

Dennis, you have no clue what it's like to be a Passenger Conductor. Me on the other hand.. I've got some experience under my belt.

I have been working passenger trains for less then 6 months. In that short span of time I have had to break up a fist fight between a conductor and passenger, I've been threatened to "have the S%^t beaten out of me", because the passenger refused to produce a fare when asked.

The reason a conductor got into a fist fight is pretty simple.. The conductor of that train had a previous incident with the passenger where said passenger Spit on him and threw a glass bottle at him. The conductor saw him on the platform and kindly asked him to wait for the next train. Which would come along in 30 minutes. He refused and started to beat the conductor.

We also have to deal with passengers who refuse to pay fares and attempt to cheat fares. We have the choice to give them a form which we have no time to give them and fill out, let them go, or throw them off. Most of the time option B is exercised. Simply cause the form takes 10 minutes to fill out and we have to fill it out and then get them to sign it and hand them a piece of the form. So do you think I'd take 10 minutes for a form while I have about 100 fares to collect and miss most of them, or would you skip that $7 fare in favor of the rest of the fares. Option B is the best bet.

Dennis, I'll include some YouTube videos to show what we deal with, and all we can use is words. The rest is up to PD.

Acela 150- thank you for posting the videos, although they made me angry. Some of these people are disgusting scum and should not be allowed out in public. Most Amtrak crews whom I have met are very professional.

I am going to venture a guess (and will not be wrong about it) over half these NJT pax were looking at phones, dragging their tails and not paying heed to where they were going. Hats off to the Amtrak Conductor; I would gladly ride with him.
Ryan, that's what I was referring to.
Acela, you didn't defend the conductor, but you posted how terrible Conductors get treated. The same is true of Starbucks baristas (I've seen a customer throw a cup in a baristas face in LA), but I don't expect Starbucks employees to be unprofessional and yell at customers. You never made a point, so I did assume you were trying to defend the conductor.

Acela 150- thank you for posting the videos, although they made me angry. Some of these people are disgusting scum and should not be allowed out in public. Most Amtrak crews whom I have met are very professional.
Not a problem. Most people think the job is easy breezy. But you do have to deal with passengers who will verbally abuse and even attempt to physically abuse conductors. Cause they got caught doing something wrong like fare evading.

Acela, you didn't defend the conductor, but you posted how terrible Conductors get treated. The same is true of Starbucks baristas (I've seen a customer throw a cup in a baristas face in LA), but I don't expect Starbucks employees to be unprofessional and yell at customers. You never made a point, so I did assume you were trying to defend the conductor.
Completely understand your point. I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm not familiar with how Starbucks employees can be treated.

But the sad part is that human beings treat other human beings like they don't have feelings. We all have feelings. And it's sad how people truly forget about it.

easy? No when I'm riding an Acela and the snow is so deep it sets off each hot box / equipment detector (for dragging equipment) and the poor Conductors have to get out In that deep snow and inspect the train when they know it's just snow... Easy is not the word!!!!

easy? No when I'm riding an Acela and the snow is so deep it sets off each hot box / equipment detector (for dragging equipment) and the poor Conductors have to get out In that deep snow and inspect the train when they know it's just snow... Easy is not the word!!!!
HA! As someone who has walked a mile long slab train in 2 feet of snow after putting on a new marker. Trust me I'll walk an Acela set any day! Even if it's just for snow. Anyone who has worked freight and switched to Amtrak would most likely say the same thing.

It's not an easy job. Situations such as walking a train in inclement weather or performing switching moves with hand thrown switches, etc are known parts of the job to those working the position, and thus are not justification for rudeness to passengers.

The YouTube videos display the unknowns of dealing with unpredictable people. This is becoming more prevalent in all service industries. In these situations the conductor is at risk because he is isolated and not much can be done until police are involved. I can understand why some would project a tougher front to preemptively deter some behaviors.

But the sad part is that human beings treat other human beings like they don't have feelings. We all have feelings. And it's sad how people truly forget about it.
It's far more than being about 'feelings', it's about a profound lack of respect. Respect for those in authority and a respect for those who are performing a service you are benefiting from, and yes, respect for someone who is a fellow human. Unfortunately, that is an increasing issue in society.

But there has to be a better option than filling out Form 289567-A in triplicate and then requesting a signature from the offending passenger. Whoever thought that was a solution needs to actually perform the duties of a conductor for six months or so.

I saw that, but when you said "posters", I couldn't figure out who else you were talking about.

Just to add to the initial thread, NYP, the Amtrak/NJT side has been bursting at the seams for awhile now, and most times of the day the platforms can easily be jammed with people coming and going. As noted many of the NJT riders are wired in and are, or act invisible to anyone around them.

I can easily see any conductor at NYP getting assertive in barking out requests to make room for boarding Amtrak passengers. That is what NYP warrants with today's traffic level.

Remember when NYP was first planned and built it did not handle commuter trains from the west. Commuter trains continued to use Jersey City. After the PRRs major electrification program coupled with the depression and decline in through trains Commuter trains started to use NYP, with the last rush hour train leaving Jersey City in the early 60's.

Today with the capacity issue at NYP at a tipping point, meltdowns will continue, right or wrong.

Ken

To try to solve the problem of bus operator's being attacked, New York MTA's policy is for operator's to tell non fare-paying passenger's politely one time what the fare is, and if they still refuse to pay, to just let them go, and say no more. This way, most trouble and disruption's can be avoided.

If the problem is a continuing one on certain runs or routes, they will assign plain clothes or uniformed law enforcement personnel to ride the bus to do the enforcement...

Article here:

We'll since I take NJ Transit regularly, I guess the answer is obvious. We certainly can't seriously advocate that violence is the answer. I can appreciate that conductors can be faced with a tough boarding situation at NYP when running behind schedule. Perhaps a bit more politeness in a strenuous time sensitive situation was called for. Maybe a conductor with a bull horn would have gotten the point across better IMO, with the publicity and video of this incident the conductor probably was just trying to do his job but still might lose it..

Article here:

We'll since I take NJ Transit regularly, I guess the answer is obvious.
Maybe to you, but not to everybody here. Maybe use emojis to show us the next time if you're being serious or not.

Does the "tower" (used to be Tower A) try to stagger arrivals and departures from the same platform so as to avoid overloading those narrow platforms?

jb
There are too many trains arriving and departing to stagger. They are going to be overloaded from time to time. The NJ transit commuters (and other passengers on other commuter railroads too) tend get on and off like a cattle herd, they are always in a hurry, and they don't pay attention to Amtrak passengers waiting on platforms. Really though the right thing for a Amtrak Conductor to do is wait for them to clear and not stress out about leaving on time. Even if the dispatcher is calling demanding to know why you haven't left. Keep cool. Also if you do say anything to the NJ passengers they will probably tell you to F off and who wants to hear that?

Back