AEM7 Retirement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is being reported on other rr forum sites that AEM-7 #915 was moved to Strasburg, PA on June 11 to be turned over to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Source.

Seems like they're being retired a little quick. I heard a rumor earlier about four certain engines being put back out on the road. I won't say any more on that for the time being however.

Seems like they're being retired a little quick. I heard a rumor earlier about four certain engines being put back out on the road. I won't say any more on that for the time being however.
Four of the HHP-8. They are being mothballed, not scrapped because they are leased, so they can reduce the shortage by bringing them back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four of the HHP-8. They are being mothballed, not scrapped because they are leased, so they can reduce the shortage by bringing them back.
The HHP's are stored at Bear. They will only bring back AEM-7AC's. That's if they have too. Last I heard only 2 or 3 AC's are OOS. 901, 936, and 943. 901 has been OOS for quite some time though.

I don't know my engines, except the Sprinter (because they're new), but do know there's usually an old engine on #85 as I see it everyday as I walk towards WIL after work.

The HHP's are stored at Bear. They will only bring back AEM-7AC's. That's if they have too. Last I heard only 2 or 3 AC's are OOS. 901, 936, and 943. 901 has been OOS for quite some time though.
I'm afraid you're wrong, and Hal is right. Much to the chagrin of every engineer on the corridor.

Sitting in the diner at the Red Caboose Motel I see one or two AEM-7s at Strasburg RR. When I looked again they had moved them. I'll try to post photos of them today and see what they have planned for them.

LINK

At some point, I saw the lease expiration dates for the individual HHP-8s. I strongly suspect they'll be retired exactly when the leases expire.

On another topic, I really hope that at least one AEM-7-DC gets saved for the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania or whereever. There is a serious chance that they'll all get scrapped, which would be a bad result historically....

....and I see that gephoto has linked to a press release alleviating my worries. :)

#915 saved for history. Awesome.

I hope RR Museum of Pennsylvania can also get some spare parts from the other AEM-7s being retired.

As one AEM7DC arrived at the Railroad Museum of PA yesterday, I do not share your worry that all will be scrapped :)

I'm afraid you're wrong, and Hal is right. Much to the chagrin of every engineer on the corridor.
Per several Amtrak Enginners on the NEC Facebook page, the HHP's are NOT returning to service. They must undergo the 92 day inspection which is performed at WIL shops. On top of that a bulletin put out several weeks ago states HHP's are now numbered 680-694.

On top of that a bulletin put out several weeks ago states HHP's are now numbered 680-694.
Oooh. An interesting renumbering decision. This requires going back and repainting the numbers on all of them to add 30. (5->8, 6->9). It also leaves room for only 10 potential option purchases on the ACS-64s (including #666)... I don't know why but I was expecting them to be renumbered at the hundreds digit. Maybe all those series are being saved for the Chargers.

On top of that a bulletin put out several weeks ago states HHP's are now numbered 680-694.
Oooh. An interesting renumbering decision. This requires going back and repainting the numbers on all of them to add 30. (5->8, 6->9). It also leaves room for only 10 potential option purchases on the ACS-64s (including #666)... I don't know why but I was expecting them to be renumbered at the hundreds digit. Maybe all those series are being saved for the Chargers.
Those HHP's will be off the roster long before there are new ACS-64s. Since they're just sitting in a yard right now, I doubt if they will even be repainted into their new numbers. They'll never see service again and will be sent back to Bombardier as soon as the lease is up.

Those HHP's will be off the roster long before there are new ACS-64s. Since they're just sitting in a yard right now, I doubt if they will even be repainted into their new numbers. They'll never see service again and will be sent back to Bombardier as soon as the lease is up.
If I remember anything about railroad regulations, I think they have to have the new numbers painted on in order to move 'em. I wouldn't expect a nice job to be done of it.

they can be moved under their own numbers they will just get Bombardier reporting marks BBRX added to them , they willl not run for Amtrak again.

as for spares if Amtrak wanted to put engines back in service they have AEM-7ac's sitting around and will keep spares.

Per several Amtrak Enginners on the NEC Facebook page, the HHP's are NOT returning to service. They must undergo the 92 day inspection which is performed at WIL shops. On top of that a bulletin put out several weeks ago states HHP's are now numbered 680-694.
And per the Amtrak Employee Facebook page, there are four returning to service, and I saw no corrections on that post. So, I guess we'll have to see.

And per the Amtrak Employee Facebook page, there are four returning to service, and I saw no corrections on that post. So, I guess we'll have to see.
The engineers who post on the NEC page are exclusive to the NEC and don't give out bad info. One even mentioned that they are running more ACS units then AEM-7's. I trust him. I would try to find out where that employee is getting their info. If they're based anywhere outside of the NEC don't believe it.

The engineers who post on the NEC page are exclusive to the NEC and don't give out bad info. One even mentioned that they are running more ACS units then AEM-7's. I trust him. I would try to find out where that employee is getting their info. If they're based anywhere outside of the NEC don't believe it.
It is a rumor going around the NEC. Of course the rumor is from engineers based on the NEC. Why would any other engineers care? They don't have to run them. We shall see if it goes from rumor to fact.

Back