Advice for 421 versus 1 ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
I'm looking to buy a ticket for a family relation. Going from SAS to Coos Bay, Oregon. What is the difference between the two offerings Arrow gives me? 421 VRS 1? Same price for both????

Thanks !! in advance for any and all info........

I've never been on ether the 421 or the 1 so that's why I ask....................

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are the same price, I suggest train 1, closer to the diner. Train 421 is just a coach and a sleeper from Chicago that get added to the train from New Orleans in San Antonio.

Depending on the mobility of your family member, they may like the 421, as it will probably be the last two cars of the train, with the sleeper on the rear, giving interesting views if the traveler is interested. It might be nice if Amtrak would clarify the meanings of 1 and 421. They just assume people know. Some may think it is two separate trains, which it is not.

Some days they are the same price, but on most days ( the Sunset/Eagle is a three times a week Train between SAS and LAX)#421 costs more due to supply and demand, and the fact that the Passengers that come from North of SAS on #21/#421 don't have to detrain when reaching SAS since the #421 Sleeper and Coach are switched from the Eagle to the rear of #1.

I have ridden this train probably 100 times in Sleepers and Coach on both #421 and #1 ( and #422 and #2)and prefer the #1 Sleeper since as was said, it's on the front of the train close to the Diner and SSL/Cafe car.( and is often cheaper).

If the price is the same I'd book the one that gave me the best choice of Rooms ( you have to do this on the phone or in person with an agent), in my case Roomettes #2-#5 and Bedroon E,D or C are the choices.

Train 421 are the sleeper and coach coming from Chicago on the Texas Eagle and combined to train 1 in San Antonio. Each had to be sold as separate "trains" even though between SAS and LAX they operate combined as a single train. Just chose the lower priced offered.

if boarding in SAS, consider boarding in SMC just north of SAS so you can get settled in your room or seat before San Antonio and don't have to wait around until 2 AM to board if #1 is on time. Since I use the sleeper, I just sleep through SAS switching to wake up rested the next morning. Just make sure you book 421.

Yes take the lower price but if equal I'd go with 1. I really dislike being in a sleeper at the rear of the train. It has a lot more motion which makes it harder to sleep. The walk to the diner is much longer and you can easily miss out on good reservation times as they usually start at the front of the train and work backwards.

I've ridden in both and for the most part the experience is rather similar. On those rare occasions where one car was significantly better than the other it wasn't for a reason that could be anticipated in advance (surly staff, foul odors, obnoxious neighbors, etc). Here on the forum we can easily name a half dozen distinct differences simply because we know these trains inside and out, but for average folks I doubt they would notice or care about most of these variations. The one and only factor that would hold much sway with me is the San Marcos option. Boarding #421 at a perfectly reasonable 7-8PM versus boarding #1 at the crack of oh god thirty is just the sort of difference virtually anyone could appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back