Adirondack jumper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
Authorities say a Canadian man is hospitalized for a mental health evaluation after he jumped from a moving Amtrak train as it traveled in upstate New York.

Police in Schenectady tell The Daily Gazette that the engineer noticed the man hanging onto the back of the train late Wednesday morning. The New York City-to-Montreal train was traveling at nearly 100 mph but police say the engineer slowed the train before the man jumped.

Police say the man wasn't injured. He was later found walking about 1 ½ miles from the Schenectady Amtrak station.

The man, who lives in Montreal, was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation. He hasn't been charged.

Amtrak officials say they're investigating how the passenger was able to exit the train while it was moving.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24901884/man-survives-leap-from-moving-amtrak-train-in-ny#ixzz2vP1zCoJY

One of the Top 10 Most Scenic Train Rides in the WorldThe Adirondack travels daily from New York City, through the lush wine country of the Hudson Valley, into Montreal. Heading north, you're scheduled to depart New York's Penn Station in the morning and arrive in Montreal in the evening. Or, board the southbound train anywhere along the line and arrive in mid-town Manhattan in time to enjoy dinner and nightlife in New York City.

Maybe it was the Conductor "driving the train" that saw the daredevil! Media often gets these kind of details wrong since most "reporters" have probably never been on a train!

Now I get it! [slap]

I only read the second article, where it said "the engineer". After reading the first article where it said "the train driver I realized how it was. The engineer is in front, but the train driver is in the last car! :giggle:

So the train was slowing down from 100mph and he jumped, and somehow sustained no injuries? That man should take that as a sign somebody wants him alive.

On diesel? I thought the only >79 MPH outside the electrified East was on the SWC and that's only 90...

I don't doubt you - I just didn't know. Facinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
On diesel? I thought the only >79 MPH outside the electrified East was on the SWC and that's only 90...
Pacific Surfliners also have 90 mph segments south of Los Angeles; locomotives equipped with ATS, I believe. It's fun to jam beside I-5 around Camp Pendleton, outrunning cars speeding along at 80+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back