Adding Business Class increases Base Fare.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of times when making reservation I have noticed adding Business Class caused the base fare to increase. This happened on the Lincoln (Illinois) service.

For example I was doing a trip from Alton, IL (ALN) to Staples MN (SPL); 302 connecting to 7 in Chicago. Base fare before adding Business Class was $136. Adding $20 Business Class (on 302) caused the base fare to increase to $150, plus the $20 for BC comes to a total of $170. Essentially BC nets out to $34.

The best I can tell is adding BC removes some or all discounts that was reflected in the base fare. Maybe the logic is if one is willing to spend for BC, they don’t need a discount.

UR

It's possible that Amtrak is offering a 25% off fare. Similar to Regional Trains. For instance if the fare from PHL-BOS is $59, I select BC the fare goes to $92 plus the BC Fee.

When you choose BC the fare goes up, or any type of discount such as AAA, SA. Simply cause the fare to go up as the fare is already reduced.

It's possible that Amtrak is offering a 25% off fare. Similar to Regional Trains. For instance if the fare from PHL-BOS is $59, I select BC the fare goes to $92 plus the BC Fee.
When you choose BC the fare goes up, or any type of discount such as AAA, SA. Simply cause the fare to go up as the fare is already reduced.
No 25% off fare on that corridor. Even if you apply no discount such as AAA, the fare is still more than the "estimated" fare which is low bucket + BC fare.

A couple of times when making reservation I have noticed adding Business Class caused the base fare to increase. This happened on the Lincoln (Illinois) service.
For example I was doing a trip from Alton, IL (ALN) to Staples MN (SPL); 302 connecting to 7 in Chicago. Base fare before adding Business Class was $136. Adding $20 Business Class (on 302) caused the base fare to increase to $150, plus the $20 for BC comes to a total of $170. Essentially BC nets out to $34.

The best I can tell is adding BC removes some or all discounts that was reflected in the base fare. Maybe the logic is if one is willing to spend for BC, they don’t need a discount.

UR
Noticing the same thing. Just wanted to say enjoy your trip up this way! Staples is a nice little town there.

I've noticed the jump in price on a number of different routes. My thought was, when there were no promotional/sale fares involved that the base/coach fare went to a higher bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed the jump in price on a number of different routes. My thought was, when there were no promotional/sale fares involved that the base/coach fare went to a higher bucket.
Correct, when making a rezzy, weeks in advance, and there is a promo, if one uses that promo (AAA, NARP, etc.) it often results in a higher fare. Same sometimes for BC, if BC is NOT incl in the promo, and then one chooses BC, the base fare may increase to the "normal" price

UR
For some reason, the midwest corridors have different base fare buckets for Business Class than coach. If the Coach fare is in the low bucket, but Business Class is in a higher bucket, adding Business Class not only adds the normal up-charge, but also bumps the base fare bucket. That is not true for Business Class in other corridors. I have no idea why they do that. It is one of those "that's the way it is" items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back