ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope these engines are good looking. I'm happy to hear that Amtrak is keeping the P42's.

Amtrak172

I think that Amtrak should have high speed multilevel trainsets that will replace the Acela Express someday that are similar to the TGV Duplex- plus they fit under the North River Tunnels.

I think that Amtrak should have high speed multilevel trainsets that will replace the Acela Express someday that are similar to the TGV Duplex- plus they fit under the North River Tunnels.
Alas, they're doing single level trainsets. No 1300 seat OuiGos for America.

Why?
Multilevels are more difficult from an ADA perspective and have less room for baggage storage.

Maybe someday when we've maxed out train lengths and frequencies and still need more capacity we can talk about multilevels. But that day is a long way away.

The commuter railroads like MARC and NJT have multilevels on the corridor and SEPTA is looking to add them as well. Remember Amtrak originally wanted to buy 40 more Acela coaches but that plan was shut down. It would have been hard to modify the maintenance facilities to handle the expanded trainsets.

Meanwhile, more people want to ride the Acelas but there is not enough capacity. That's where the mutilevels come in; they provide more capacity and the maintenance facilities won't have to be modified.

Meanwhile, more people want to ride the Acelas but there is not enough capacity. That's where the mutilevels come in; they provide more capacity and the maintenance facilities won't have to be modified.
No they don't. That is where 10 car HSR consist come in. Maintenance facilities have to be modified anyway because 6 car sets will not suffice, and they don;t cost that much to modify in the overall scheme of things. Being guided by the length of 15 year old maintenance facilities is not a logical way of building a fleet strategy.

You are overlooking how little capacity the 20 Acela trainsets have with 6 passenger cars and 303 seats. For a total of 6060 seats, although only 16 trainsets are in use on any given weekday.
Amtrak is seeking to order 28 HSR trainsets with 425 to 450 seats each. If the HSR trainsets have 435 seats in a 8 car EMU configuration, the 28 trainset fleet will have 12,180 seats, doubling the capacity of the current Acelas. If they fill those seats up, ok, then they can consider 10 car single level trainsets or dual level for the 3rd gen order.

The commuter railroads like MARC and NJT have multilevels on the corridor and SEPTA is looking to add them as well.
In addition to the excellent points made above:

WAS - Perryville on MARC is about an hour 45.

Newark to Trenton on SEPTA is about 2 hours.

Trenton to NYP on NJT is anywhere between 50-80 minutes.

WAS-BOS on the Acela is 6 hours and 40 minutes.

The commuter railroads like MARC and NJT have multilevels on the corridor and SEPTA is looking to add them as well.
In addition to the excellent points made above:

WAS - Perryville on MARC is about an hour 45.

Newark to Trenton on SEPTA is about 2 hours.

Trenton to NYP on NJT is anywhere between 50-80 minutes.

WAS-BOS on the Acela is 6 hours and 40 minutes.
It's about an hour from PHL to TRE by Septa, 1 hour WIL to PHL, 90 minutes NRK to PHL. Sorry Ryan! :)

Here's AMTK 614 on Amtrak #6(13) running twelve hours late at Agency, Iowa. Normally they get the Sprinters onto the Capitol Limited the next day. I wonder how long it will take this time.

I would take that video to the local precinct and have them enhance the image of the license plate. That pickup crossed the tracks less than 15 seconds before the train passed. Ought to be charged with attempted manslaugher.

I would take that video to the local precinct and have them enhance the image of the license plate. That pickup crossed the tracks less than 15 seconds before the train passed. Ought to be charged with attempted manslaugher.
You can't just make up criminal charges to try and hit people with, especially when what they did is already provided for in the law. Advocating for red light cameras on every rail crossing, however, would be a much better idea.

Nice shot of the idiot going around the gates.
While what is shown is ilegal; I did find it interesting when I took the drivers test in IA that it was legal to cross any railroad crossing regardless of what the lights are showing; but ilegal to drive around the gates. So if your at an ungated lit crossing you are within the law to cross the tracks when the lights & bells are going.

peter

Nice shot of the idiot going around the gates.
While what is shown is ilegal; I did find it interesting when I took the drivers test in IA that it was legal to cross any railroad crossing regardless of what the lights are showing; but ilegal to drive around the gates. So if your at an ungated lit crossing you are within the law to cross the tracks when the lights & bells are going.

peter
It was my understanding that lights flashing is essentially like a stop sign, while a gate that is down is essentially a red light. I suppose that could vary state to state somewhat.

Back