ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read elsewhere that this has to do with misplacement of the MU cables in the lower # units, resulting in a locking up of the brakes in-transit.

Wow that's something. I wonder if they changed some things in these units that they didn't do on the others. That's messed up. They're lucky the train didn't derail.

Yeah worst case they bring in wheel sets and replace the entire assembly. If damage is worse than that they can always re-truck on temporary trucks to get them to Wilmington. I am sure they can do everything in Wilmington that is needed to fix it. At best it will be a good first hand experience. :)

Wow, there not even in service for a year and there already having problems with them. Is it just me, or is this saying something? I really do like the ACS-64's but it's to soon to be having problems with them.

discounting the two that had issues in Ohio recently, which we don't really know what caused the problem yet (although it was definitely made worse by the crew, if not fully created by them.) There hasn't really been that much of any issues with them. With any major vehicle you're going to have teething issues with the first couple off the line. This is true for anything including automobiles, it just because this is Amtrak you're actually hearing a lot more about the testing & the issues.

peter

Wow, there not even in service for a year and there already having problems with them. Is it just me, or is this saying something? I really do like the ACS-64's but it's to soon to be having problems with them.
It's just you I am afraid ;)
The introduction of ACS-64s so far has been surprisingly smooth when compared to the last round of new equipment introduction on the NEC.

Yeah, having even lived through the introduction of AEM-7s and Amfleet Is (and not to mention those E60s too!)! Those were heady days, when what was truly decrepit was being replaced by spanking new stuff. Those who have not been through that period have no idea what a spectacularly wonderful state the NEC is in now compared to back then!

I'm surprised your not old enough to remember the old f7's or the steam era. Look at my latest post in Amtrak America branding

It's just you I am afraid ;)
The introduction of ACS-64s so far has been surprisingly smooth when compared to the last round of new equipment introduction on the NEC.

There was an issue with the headlights though. The heat from the lights cracked the glass on 603

Last edited by a moderator:
The last major new equipment introduction on the NEC were the Acelas and the HHP-8s. The HHP-8s have never really worked smoothly and they are turning out to be the first to go. Acelas had to be withdrawn from service completely twice, after being delayed quite a bit in the original introduction. Compared to that ACS-64s so far have been a breeze. That was my point.

Actually, Amfleet introduction was relatively smooth, as was AEM-7. OTOH Metroliners were as dicey as they get. But at that time we were trying to outdo the Japanese on the cheap. You get exactly what you pay for. And then there were the E60s, oh well.... they could not even reliably stay on the rails at their original design speed.

I'm surprised your not old enough to remember the old f7's or the steam era. Look at my latest post in Amtrak America branding
I guess you are yet to catch up on reading my postings there perhaps?
Truth be told I was not in this country in that era. But I was traveling exclusively on trains pulled by Baldwin and IR designed WP Class Steam Engines. Saw Alco Century derived engines (WDM-2) introduced, and also the French 50Hz Group and the Hitachi-Mitsubishi-Toshiba consortium produces 25kV electric power introduced (WAM-1, WAM-2 and WAM-3), both to replace Steam. This was back in India in the late 50's and early 60's. OTOH even then the beautiful Garratts (ex-BNR M, N and P Class) were still running out their last miles hauling heavy coal trains. Saw literally many thousands of km brought under catenary, and American LD trains inspired trains with Air Conditioned Chair Cars (Coaches) introduced.

The first time I came to this country was in 1965 when the North East Corridor was pretty much falling apart. There were just a few remaining flagship trains slowly running out their last miles into oblivion. GG-1s and FL-9s were doing the honors. The commuter EMUs looked like something out of the inter-war era. I was floored to see how bad the system was back then.

The last major new equipment introduction on the NEC were the Acelas and the HHP-8s. The HHP-8s have never really worked smoothly and they are turning out to be the first to go. Acelas had to be withdrawn from service completely twice, after being delayed quite a bit in the original introduction. Compared to that ACS-64s so far have been a breeze. That was my point.

Actually, Amfleet introduction was relatively smooth, as was AEM-7. OTOH Metroliners were as dicey as they get. But at that time we were trying to outdo the Japanese on the cheap. You get exactly what you pay for. And then there were the E60s, oh well.... they could not even reliably stay on the rails at their original design speed.

Amtrak test many different high speed trains from Germany, France, and Sweden before developing their first very own high speed train. The Acela is obviously Amtrak's first very own high speed train so they probably didn't know how to maintain them at the time. As for the AEM-7's and the HHP-8's. Amtrak will be keeping some of the good AEM-7's for mostly switching and for backup engines. The HHP-8's will be sticking around a little longer than the AEM-7's. Only some of them are retired because of mechanical issues that couldn't be fixed.

Amtrak172

Amtrak test many different high speed trains from Germany, France, and Sweden before developing their first very own high speed train. The Acela is obviously Amtrak's first very own high speed train so they probably didn't know how to maintain them at the time. As for the AEM-7's and the HHP-8's. Amtrak will be keeping some of the good AEM-7's for mostly switching and for backup engines. The HHP-8's will be sticking around a little longer than the AEM-7's. Only some of them are retired because of mechanical issues that couldn't be fixed.

Amtrak172
All but 4 or 5 of the AEM-7's will be scrapped of put on display. Those will potentially be used for Septa Push-Pull service. If not they will meet their demise. 5 HHP's are already gone. I got news for ya.. The Hippos are most likely going to go first then the Toasters. If you read back in the topic I'm sure that's covered. As well as other websites.

As for test trains that came from Germany, Sweden, and Spain, nothing came from France. AE is Amtrak's very first HST.

Actually in the summer of 1973 there were two RTG's were shipped into Port Elizabeth NJ from France. They were originally on the Chicago-St. Louis service (with a 4 hour 59minute running time). They were called Turboliners by Amtrak. In 1975additional services four additional trainsets were acquired and additional services were added in the Midwest.

I am only 52 but I remember seeing a steam locomotive in use, in Belgrade Serbia... It was as recent as 2004, too.

I tried to get a picture but it was so dark my camera refused to focus. Did I think to set the focus to manual and shoot anyway? Uhm. No, I didn't. But it was cool to see the steam just billowing around the yard. That was the end of one of the most frustrating travel days of my life so I use that as an excuse for my failure to get the picture.

Actually in the summer of 1973 there were two RTG's were shipped into Port Elizabeth NJ from France. They were originally on the Chicago-St. Louis service (with a 4 hour 59minute running time). They were called Turboliners by Amtrak. In 1975additional services four additional trainsets were acquired and additional services were added in the Midwest.
I totally forgot about those RTG's. Thanks for the correction! :)

Back