Across the USA (and back)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like your opinions about the Card are about the same as mine! I be always thought that Lunch was the best meal served on this train and that the French Toast "Sticks" and Rubber Omelettes on this Train were the worst thing Amtrak serves except for the Bob Evans Scramble from the bad old days!

I also think the so called "Lounge/Cafe" that shares the car with the Diner Lite sucks!

Hope the Crescent is a good trip,Ive always enjoyed riding it going back to Southern RR Days and of course New Orleans Rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
JayPea,

Did you get to see the New River Gorge from the Cardinal? Was there any other good scenery that the trees didn't hide?

Out of curiosity, I just pulled up the menu for the Cardinal (it came up saying "Amtrak - Error," which I thought was kind of appropriate after looking at the breakfast and dinner selections :giggle: . I'm glad you got a good lunch!

What were your impressions of the business class car (aside from a handy walk-in closet for your stuff :) ?!) Did you find sleeping car passengers were using it as an extra lounge? Or that it was full, empty, or somewhere in between with people riding in it overnight as business car passengers?

I was one of those sleeping car passengers using it as a lounge :lol: Between my uncle and myself and our small bags there was hardly room for us in the the room! There were hardly any passengers in it. There couldn't have been at any time more than half a dozen people using the seating section. They had a rest room in it which to me is much better than the toilet in the room. With so few people in it no one batted an eye when we stored our bags there.

I did somewhat see the New River Gorge amongst the trees. From what I could tell beyond the trees the scenery was great. And I liked the quaint small towns along the route.

The lunch was quite good, which tells me the diner light could be good with the right selections. And our room did rattle incessantly which we cured by not riding in it. :lol:

Train 4: The Crescent. After relaxing in the Charlottesville station until the arrival of the Crescent, 20 minutes late, we boarded the traon. We had already eaten at a great little place called Mel's, just a couple of blocks from the station, because we didn't think we'd get dinner after boarding at about 10 after nine. We did get offered dinner, though, so we had four meals. We had asked Grady,our SCA, to put the beds down while we ate and for some reason that request seemed to irritate him. I tried the veggie burritos and found them to be very good. At dessert we got strawberries with our ice cream and chocolate mousse, a nice touch. At all the meals it was a bit different than what I was used too. The LSA, whose name I never did get, filled out the slips, room and car number and all, and had one person sign both tickets. And no reservations: just two or three different meal times and show up when you felt like it. And no companions for meals; we sat by ourselves at every meal.

After dinner we retired for the evening. I usually unhook the straps that hold upper bunk passengers in, but this time I kept then strapped. The tracks were so rough I probably would have been thrown off the train had I not done so. Despite the rough ride I slept soundly until Gainesville, after which we went to breakfast. Getting back to the regular menu was nice after having cold rubber omelets on the Cardinal.

After breakfast we averted a possible crisis. The power was out in our room and Grady showed little inclination to assist us. Between the two of us we got it running again though. I was not at all impressed with the condition of the shower. One dirty towel to use and somebody had stored their luggage in it. I had to move it just to get the door open. I will say this about the service: Ice was available all day and so was coffee.

After breakfast and getting cleaned up for the day it was time to take in the sights and try to photograph things in between stands of trees. We kept good time and only once, at Hattiesburg, were we more than half an hour late.

For lunch I had the marinated salad with the feta cheese and added chicken to it. Big mistake. The chicken tasted like it had died of some debilitating disease.

After lunch Grady finally warmed up and before long we were laughing and swapping yarns like old friends. He redeemed himself in my eyes. As I said timekeeping was good throughout the trip.

After an abbreviated dinner of the Salisbury steak we got into New Orleans right about on time. After collecting our bags we caught a cab to the Drury Inn, our hotel for two nights. In addition to comfortable sleeping, the Drury Inn offered a very good breakfast, superior IMHO to any other hotel I've stayed in, along with free popcorn and soft drinks. In addition, they have a small buffet dinner with a coupon for three alcoholic beverages.

We spent the day yesterday in the French Quarter at the French Market. We caught one streetcar, changed to another one, and got off near the market. I'm not much into trinkets and junkets but found the Market fascinating. By the time we got back, after very slow streetcar traffic due to fans going to the preseason game at the Superdome between the Aints and the Stealers. We had planned to go to Bourbon Street but decided against it. We called it an early night so we would be ready to go this morning on train #5 of 6, the Sunset Limited.

A couple of random observations: We had ice available and coffee all day on both the Cardinal and Crescent. Maybe Eastern trains are less anal about this. And give me Superliners any day! I do not like the Viewliner setup at all. I like the luggage storage in Superliners and hate the toilet in the room. I went to the business class or the coaches to, well, do my business. ;)

On the SL now, making reasonable time.

Just went into emergency stop between Beaumont and Houston. Apparently had a trespasser incident. No word on whether the trespasser was 2 legged or 4 legged yet. If 2 legged we will be here stopped about 4 hours. And so it goes.

Third time in three years it's happened to us.
*** reminds myself never to travel on the same trains as JayPea ***
LOL! I'm not the one that pushed the trespassers (it now appears there were two suicidal subjects) on the tracks! The original 2 hour estimate was a bit optimistic; it is now going on three hours. Thank goodness for all sorts of padding in the schedule.

Just got the go ahead from the local authorities to release the train. Once they run an air brake test we will be on our way. My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased individuals as well as to the train crew, in particular the engineer.

You are having a grand adventure. Sorry about the trespasser incident. My condolences too. There is enough padding to make up that time.
There is all sorts of padding between here and Los Angeles. Tuesday's SL left New Orleans over 4 hours late, was still over 4 hours late out of Houston and got into LA almost half an hour early. No worries. :)

Sounds like New Orleans was fun and I'm with the Viewliner Roomette favoring crowd even though I like Superliners! ( Has to do with Sleeping in the Coffin as opposed to the top bunk in a Viewliner!)

Hope y'all waved as you rolled through Texas, it's a Loooooooong way to El Paso!

Train 5 of 6: the Sunset Limited

Another well,interesting trip. Upon arrival at the New Orleans station. we got the code to the Magnolia Lounge, which is a magnificent waste of space. No amenities other than slightly softer seats and coffee that was constantly out. Among the missing amenities was loudspeakers so we got up to stand in line to board the sleepers in advance. When the attendant went to the Magnolia Lounge to make the boarding announcement he couldn't get in and a passenger had to let him in! Waiting to board the sleeper I saw a first: A young man boarding a sleeper with a bicycle. Efrem was our attendant, very good and efficient. And a flagrant flouter of rules: all day coffee and ice available. :lol:

I was anxious for this part of the route as I had never taken the New Orleans-San Antonio segment before, the only part of Amtrak's long-distance system west of the Mississippi I had never taken. I was especially looking forward to the Huey P. Long Bridge. And it was every bit as magnificent as I had figured, if you are into bridges, that is. I had the old standby, the Angus steak burger for lunch. We ate with a middle aged couple from Alabama who was traveling to Los Angeles, then connecting with the SWC to the Grand Canyon. In a moment that some would find objectionable but bothered us not at all, they asked us to join them in a sort prayer before the meal. I had steak and it was good.

We made good time all the way to Beaumont, until the aforementioned incident where as it turned out a man in his 50's decided it would be a good idea to walk in front of the train. That cost us about 3 hours and 20 minutes, which I put to good use by reading Henry Kisor's excellent book about the California Zephyr. We did make up some of that time, pulling into Houston 3 hours late. We had to wait at the Houston station for 45 minutes for a new crew. So we were a little bit later. We didn't make up as much time into and at San Antonio as we might have because of slow orders and freight train interference. At one point we stopped, waited about 15 minutes, and reversed direction. Given my sunny outlook on life :p I was sure another Big Disaster had happened. No, we simply stopped again, then went forward. We made up no time at San Antonio as the stop there took the whole 2:40 scheduled. We had made up some time and departed San Antonio 2 hours late. We lost almost another hour into Del Rio as we had another litany of slow orders, freight interference, and another sit-for-15-minutes-then-back-up move. Past Del Rio, though, we gradually began to make up time as there was no freight interference after that. The diner was almost empty at every meal, even after the cars from the Texas Eagle were added. Ray was the SCA and Karol our server, both efficient and friendly. At breakfast I had the old standby, the omelet; there was a new item on the menu, a breakfast burrito, which by all accounts wasn't that good.

I was surprised at the West Texas scenery. It was lush and green! :eek: . And the purple sage was pretty. I neglected to step out for a break at Alpine; there was a thunderstorm brewing at the time.

We gradually made up more time, eventually leaving Tuscon just over an hour late. And then promptly lost an hour at Maricopa. At dinner, I was by myself with a couple from Modesto who had taken the train to New Orleans to take their daughter to school at Tulane, and my uncle sat with a family whom he had met in the lounge and who he was giving the finer points of Amtrak and it's ins and outs to. We did this for several people on the train this time; people were asking us so many questions I think Amtrak ought to pay us for being ambassadors. :lol:

We eventually arrived this morning in Los Angeles about an hour late. After arrival we checked into the lounge, and had breakfast at Philipe's before returning to the lounge to wait on a Coast Starlight that didn't arrive into the station until past 10:25. So we are now on our way already 40 minutes down. Ah, well!!!

Glad to hear that West Texas is Green after years of Severe Drought but there is no excuse for missing the opportunity to walk on the New Platform at the Alpine Station!

And did y'all get a Green Chili Burrito in El Paso, it's Hatch Chili Season and,as Tony the Tiger used to say, they're Greeeeeeeaaaat!!!!

Jim, after being on a train for the third year in a row that had hit someone, with my luck I figured I would get struck by lightning! :eek: That plus we were so far behind schedule and the stop was very brief. I didn't see the burrito lady; the El Paso stop was very short too and not much time to look around for her

Well, she MIGHT have been there. Trouble was our sleeper was stopped well away from the station and our dwell time was cut almost in half as we needed to make up time. I'm not sure there would have been enough time to get in line and buy her wares if she was indeed there. I've always wanted to do that too. I did do one thing earlier in this round the US trip I've always wanted to do and that was buy the three part CZ guidebooks on sale at Dave's Depot at Grand Junction. We had all sorts of time at Grand Junction on our CZ part of the trip since we got in there so early.

Train 6 of 6: Coast Starlight

As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, the rest of the story". As previously mentioned, we left Los Angeles 40 minutes behind, raising the ire of a lady in the Parlour Car who was there doing her knitting. I would think knitting would be tough enough without trying to do it on a moving train. At any rate, it was a beautiful day for a trip up the Pacific Coast. Through the early afternoon, we didn't lose nor gain much time. We had lunch in the diner as the Parlour Car offerings didn't sound good to us. We had lunch with a couple returning to their home in San Luis Obispo after a trip to France where they had sampled many of the country's offerings in that country's many vineyards. As it was a beautiful day for a trip up the ocean, so it was for picture-taking up the Cuesta Grade out of San Luis Obispo. Our SCA was Robin, one of the best we've had. And Nancy was the LSA, also very good. We in fact had good to very good service all along our trip, with the exception of the dining car on the Cardinal, and that was due to the limitations that crappy service has to work with.

At dinner we sat with a middle aged man who seemed to be knowledgable about all things railroad. By this time, one would think I was getting tired of the same food, but was able to vary it just enough that it wasn't a problem. I had the steak, something I rarely do, but it was excellent. On a side note, after dinner, I went to the lounge for a nightcap, which for me is a Diet Pepsi :lol: and encountered something that makes me worry about the future of our nation. A young woman was engaging the lounge attendant, Moses, in a discussion, and she told him she was getting off in Albany, and catching a bus to Toledo, OH, arriving in an hour after leaving Albany! :blink: :wacko: :ph34r: Understandably, Moses was confused. The gal insisted it was Toledo, OH because "there is only one Toledo in the United States!" :help: :help: :help: She of course was ticketed to Toledo, OR, which is indeed an hour from Albany. If she is any indication of where our country is headed once people her age come into power, that four hour trip for me to the Canadian border will look better and better!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

We had made up maybe 10 minutes into Oakland, arriving about half an hour late. Whereupon the conductor made an announcement that we would be delayed some at Oakland as we were going to pick up a private car. My uncle and I were in the Parlour Car, listening to the Cubs beat the Pirates despite spotting Pittsburgh 6 runs, and Knitting Lady threw another fit, grumbling and bitching about losing all the time and more we'd made up. Considering the last three times we'd taken #14, we'd ended up multiple hours late. By the time we left Oakland, we were about an hour down. Much better than the previous times. We retired to our chambers after Emeryville.

We both awoke at Dunsmuir to find ourselves about 45 minutes down. It was a nice change of pace to have slept through Sacramento, Chico, (with all due respect to Trainman's Daughter ;) ) and Redding, after, as I said, being multiple hours late on the three previous trips on 14 and being wide awake at those stations in daylight. At breakfast, at which I had the usual omelet, with croissant, potatoes, and pork sausage, we ate with a man who was much more interested in trying to make a phone call and then arguing with us about the reasons he couldn't do so than conversing with us. We were at this point halfway between Dunsmuir and Klamath Falls. We were only 20 minutes late at Klamath Falls, and it looked like for once we were not going to be hours upon hours late into Seattle, or at least I wasn't as my uncle was going to get off at Eugene and catch 11 to Los Angeles and return to Illinois from there. So, naturally, not too far out of Klamath Falls, we came to a stop. The conductor announced there was a freight train ahead of us that was having problems. So, once again, Knitting Lady threw another fit, mad because we had made up time in Klamath Falls only to lose it. By now this was par for the course with us and the CS northbound. At least it solved a dilemma for my uncle: he was debating about having enough time for lunch as the scheduled departure time from Eugene is 12:36 and the earliest lunch seating is noon. That gave my uncle plenty of time for lunch as it turned out. At least it was a pastoral setting for our wait; by a beautiful green meadow with evergreen trees in the background, with a couple of horses and a couple of dogs frolicking in the meadow. After about 40 minutes, the conductor told us that from what chatter he was getting on the radio, the UP freight's problems were just about fixed and it would be probably no more than half an hour before we would be on our way. For once that was overestimated as maybe 15 minutes later the offending freight went by us. And we were soon on our way.

For the trip through the mountains, it was gorgeous. One of the prettiest days I've seen. We arrived in Eugene about an hour and a half behind schedule, not bad since it was more than four hours late at least the last few times we've taken the CS north. My uncle and I said our goodbyes at Eugene and I was left for the remainder of the trip to fend for myself. ;) :p The trip went without problems the rest of the way, save for a slllllliiiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttttt miscommunication near Salem. We began to slow down, and the conductor made the announcement that #11 was in the Salem station and we would have to wait about 20 minutes for it to clear. I thought that was odd because it was 3:25 at the time, and that would have indicated #11 would be in Salem about 10 minutes early. I knew that couldn't be the case because I had been tracking it and saw that it was a few minutes late leaving Albany. Sure enough, we began to pick up speed!!!! And when the announcement came we'd be arriving in Salem "shortly", I texted my uncle about the apparent mixup. He reassuringly texted back "I hope there's not a head-on collision!" :eek: Gee thanks! :p :p Turned out to be no collision. We got to the station first, and, sure enough, about five miles outside the Salem station, there sat #11 on a siding waiting for us!

We made up a bit of time into Portland and would have made up more if it were not for several miles of 10 MPH slow orders around Oregon City. The wait at Portland was cut short, and we left about an hour late. At dinner, I had the Salisbury steak. I had dinner with a couple from the Seattle area returning home from a weekend in Portland and a young man from San Antonio who was relocating to Olympia to be near his sons. This man looked to be in his 20's and I was astonished to find out his sons were 14 and 16. Whatever this man's secret was to looking young, I want in on it.!!! The rest of the trip passed without incident and we arrived into Seattle, thanks to padding, about half an hour late. I do hope Knitting Lady got to where she was going without much trouble!!!! :lol:

It was a great trip overall, with great scenery and excellent service for almost the entire trip. Now time to plan next year's Amtrak adventures!

Back