Abandoned Dining Car in Osceola

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a trip on the rerouted California Zephyr. At Osceola, IA there was an Amtrak Superliner Diner sitting off by itself on a siding next to the station. Does anybody know why?

I don't know, but if that baby is still there after sunset she is mine!

Now how to move a Superliner Diner from Osceola to Omaha without a locomotive...

The dining car could have been cut out from a consist for problems. Could have had some some deffect in the wheels or some kitchen problem.

Cars are very rarely cut and left on a siding. :eek:

The defect usually involves the airbrakes not releasing or a severe wheel defect.

If the journal bearing overheats and is caught in a "hot box" or the on-board surveillance system, there are few options.

1) proceed at a reduced speed, or

2) cut the car.

There can also be an air valve defect, not allowing the wheels to release. If the trucks are cut out, it's hard to keep the slack out. You have to use more car brake than usual and very little loco brake. Most engineers like to use the engine for braking. This reduces brake shoe wear and reduces wheel heat.

You would be amazed at how hot the wheels are in the yard! The train has sat for 1 1/2 hrs at the station, takes a short trip around the loop and you can still get burned if you touch the wheels or brake components!

Kitchen problems or electrical problems might render the car useless, but you would want to get it to the shop for repairs.

I'll see if I can find out tomorrow at work, during the morning conference call. <_<

Miami Joe B)

Most of the time that cars get set out is because of a Hot Box. The Hot Box detector is just about the only reason I've heard for a car getting cut out and getting left in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back