A round trip to EMY. Departing Chicago 8/9/19. Departing EMY 8/13/19

Discussion in 'Travelogues / Trip Reports' started by Steve4031, Aug 9, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 14, 2019 #51

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

Woke up early around 2:30 am and did my shower routine. Then went back to sleep. I remember Salt Lake City. But did not get up to look outside. After we left Salt Lake City I went to the use the bathroom and it was out of service. The SCA informed me of that they would try to fix it in Provo.

2. Aug 14, 2019 #52

basketmaker

basketmaker

basketmaker

Train Attendant

Lochbuie (Tonville Freight Station) is used regularly for crew change. But #5 is regularly pulled into the Barr siding after Lochbuie for a northeast bound freight. upload_2019-8-14_12-41-1.png

dogbert617 and Steve4031 like this.
  3. Aug 15, 2019 #53

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

We will be arriving Denver early. Right now we are in the suburbs. Once the back up move is completed we will know how early. Noon pacific did it’s job. Most of the delays seem to occur on BNSF though in the last couple of days there has been improvements.

Of course the ride through Utah and Colorado are spectacular. I’ve included pictures of Nevada after Winnemucca as well.

Attached Files:

dogbert617 likes this.
  4. Aug 15, 2019 #54

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

We arrived Denver at 6:23. Early in spite of having to wait for a freight train. Did the platform walk. Now catching my breath. Feeling the mile high effect.

basketmaker likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2019 #55

Sauve850

Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

Thanks for all the pictures. CZ is a great ride!

6. Aug 15, 2019 #56

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

Amazing!! I missed the call to dinner again. I had the 7:30 pm dinner reservation. I suspected they might move it up some so I made Lauren to be in my room before 7 pm. At 7:30 I walked back and was again told the time had changed. I heard many announcements in the 631 car, but not these dinner announcements. It was strange.

They seated me next to a big guy and m big too. My left Butt cheek was half off the seat in the aisle. I politely explained to LSA my predicament. I stated that this also was not fair to the guy sitting by the window. They graciously moved me.

I enjoyed breakfast this morning too. Overall this crew was pretty nice so I sent in a positive email about them.

basketmaker likes this.
  7. Aug 15, 2019 #57

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

This morning I had a run in with the lounge car attendant. He’s not the brightest bulb on the lamp. This is the letter I emailed Amtrak.

This incident occurred on the last day of the trip. I went to the lounge car to purchase a snack and beverage. The attendant was not very friendly to begin with because I was apparently interrupting his conversation with the conductor when I entered the lower level of the lounge car. I purchased 2 bags of Doritos and 2 root beers. I sat down at one and f the tables and began reading.

He started playing music in n his phone. I asked him to turn it off. He told me that’s my phone ringing. He never accepted a call. He did turn the music off. A minute later he comes over and says you can read up stairs, now t here. The told him the announcements for the duration of my trip stated that those tables were for eating. I explained I was eating and reading. He repeated his statement in an intimidating tone. I told him I would leave when I was done eating. This individual needs to understand where his priorities should be. They should be waiting on passengers rather than conversations about our her passengers with other employees. He should follow Amtrak’s policy of no music without head phones.

8. Aug 15, 2019 #58

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Another piece of deadwood that the Flyboys should Weed out instead of the hardworking,excellent Autotrain OBS!!!

9. Aug 15, 2019 #59

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

We are on the home stretch now. We should arrive Chicago between 4:00 and 4:15 barring unexpected delays. This was a great trip. Every Amtrak employee except for the lounge car attendant did a great job.

10. Aug 15, 2019 #60

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

:cool:Now that the Starlight has been downgraded, the Zephyr is my favorite LD Train!:)

11. Aug 16, 2019 #61

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

Enjoyed your trip reports and photos. That 2:30 am shower is a tad early for me thou.

basketmaker likes this.