A 'Mixed' VIA Ocean for the Summer

Discussion in 'VIA Rail Canada Discussion' started by NS VIA Fan, May 21, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 21, 2019 #1

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Conductor

After a derailment this past winter plus another incident where a CN maintenance crew left track material within the gauge the westbound Ocean struck:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/no-injuries-after-via-rail-train-strikes-debris-near-debert-1.4344724

……VIA is now short of sufficient equipment to operate the expanded summer consists.

Beginning in June and through September…..VIA will operate a ‘Mixed’ Budd Stainless-Steel and Renaissance Ocean. (Yes, I know it always runs with a Budd Park Car but now they’re also adding Budd Coaches and Sleepers) Here’s a sample consist that was posted elsewhere:

F40PH2
    F40PH2
    F40PH2
    Budd Baggage
    Budd Coach
    Budd Coach
    Budd Coach
    Ren Transition Car
    Ren Service/Lounge Car
    Ren Dining Car
    Ren Service/Lounge Car
    Ren Accessible Sleeper (Line #30)
    Ren Sleeper (#31)
    Ren Transition Car
    Chateau sleepers (#33)
    Chateau sleepers (#34)
    Chateau sleepers (#35)
    Chateau sleepers (#36)
    Chateau sleepers (#37)
    Chateau sleepers (#38)
    Chateau sleepers (#39)
    Budd ‘Park Car’ Dome Obs (#40)

So if you want to sample classic Budd equipment or the modern smooth riding Rens…..now the time to book a trip on the Ocean.

[​IMG]

Michigan Mom and Bob Dylan like this.
  2. May 21, 2019 #2

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

I’m on the Ocean on the 31st I believe I’m on the all Budd train Naturally.

railiner likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2019 at 4:12 AM #3

Skyline

Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

As per ticketing I received back in the early Spring I'm on 14 leaving Montreal 8/14 (car 1437 unit 05); on 15 leaving Halifax 8/23 (car 1536, unit 06). How can I tell if these are Ren or Budd? If I was ticketed on Ren but am being moved to Budd, will they send me a new boarding pass with updated accommodation info?

I'm kinda hoping I'm on Budds...

4. Jun 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM #4

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Conductor

If you look at ReserVIA for Aug 14....it's showing a mixed Budd/Ren consist and referring to the consist posted above....unit 37 is a Budd Chateau Sleeper. On Aug 23....ReserVIA is showing an all Ren consist so unit 37 is a Ren Sleeper. But it's all subject to change and I'd check with VIA a day or so before you travel. Aug 14.JPG Aug 23.JPG

5. Jun 18, 2019 at 3:30 AM #5

Skyline

Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

Thanx for the explanation. If this holds, it's perfect. I have been on their Budds on the Canadian and like them fine; brings back memories of pre-Amtrak in the US. Never been on a Ren so this might be a win-win.

I do hope the rolling stock in the derailment is not lost forever.

6. Jun 18, 2019 at 4:29 AM #6

Urban Sky

U

Urban Sky

Train Attendant

From what I recall, all cars could be repaired, but it will be up to the government to decide whether it deems that it would be an economically sound decision to commit the capital funds required to do so...

7. Jun 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM #7

Skyline

Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

I don't know how these things work in the US or Canada, so need to ask: Are public transit accidents covered by insurance?

8. Jun 18, 2019 at 5:51 PM #8

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

Can't speak specifically to VIA or Amtrak... but many large companies are "self-insured," i.e., they don't buy insurance but instead (are supposed to) set aside funds to cover expected losses. It's very common for employee health insurance, at any firm with thousands of employees --- but the same general idea applies to any company with thousands of pieces of more-or-less identical equipment.

In my opinion VIA is a little too small for that to be a good practice on rolling stock. But it makes a great deal of sense for a freight railroad that may have thousands of identical coal hoppers.

9. Jun 18, 2019 at 9:19 PM #9

zephyr17

z

zephyr17

Conductor

I do not know about VIA but Amtrak is "self insured" up to a very high level. Amtrak also has a hold harmless agreement with the host railroads, so that Amtrak is responsible for its own losses, regardless of whether the host railroad is at fault.