A Few Impressions of Our Trip in Ireland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
[SIZE=10.5pt]My wife and I have been on a beautiful train journey in the Republic of Ireland. We flew to Dublin, and there, at Heuston Station, we boarded an InterCity train to the West Coast and Connemara, the city of Galway. It is a short trip, only 2 hours and 20 minutes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Here are a few impressions of our trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dublin Heuston Station:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]02AU280.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]01AU278.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]03AU286.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]04AU291.jpg[/SIZE]

Kylemore Abbey in Connemara:

[SIZE=10.5pt]05AU312.jpg[/SIZE]

Victorian Walled Garden, near Kylemore Abbey:

[SIZE=10.5pt]06AU315.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Derryclare Lough in Connemara:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]07AU327.jpg[/SIZE]

Glad the trip went smoothly, shame if you had to call the train station and say "Heuston, we have a problem..."
default_biggrin.png

Hope you managed to enjoy a pint or two of Guinness while you were in my ancestral homeland?

Ed.

Thanks guys for all your nice comments. I do like Amtrak and VIA Rail a lot, but occassionally I have to try other railway companies and there are a lot of good and beautiful trips to be done here in Europe.

@Ed: I'm afraid I'm not a Guinness drinker. I don't like the taste. But I had plenty of other beers (lagers).

I remember I took some sort of bus(either a Dublin city bus, or one of those hop on hop off buses) by Heuston Station, while I was in Dublin last year. Awesome pics, and I wouldn't have minded doing a train trip between Dublin and Galway had my family chosen to do that(we didn't). My family did take a DART(Dublin's commuter rail system, there's a south line and the north line branches out into 2 sections) trip to Howth(north tip of the harbor serving Dublin), and that was a lot of fun to do. Did a bus tour trip to Northern Ireland(including Belfast and Giant's Causeway) and also another one to Kilkenny and the Wicklow Mountains, and both trips were a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend Wild Rover, for their bus tour trips in Ireland btw. And as much as I liked train traveling, that's an aspect that unfortunately would be lost if you did a train trip. Though that said it's probably a wash in the end, since I always heavily research both online resources(i.e. Tripadvisor) and also travel books before traveling somewhere. So not like I'm totally unprepared for my trips, when doing train travels. And as I was very prepared, when I did my Amtrak Pittsburgh train trip for 2 days/1 night in PGH back in May(overdue trip report on that to come soon).

Loved all your travel pics, and thanks for sharing them! Speaking of trains in Ireland and that area, I do wonder what the trains in Northern Ireland are like? I noticed when I did research if one wanted to do so, one could travel via train up from Dublin to Belfast, and even onto Derry if they wanted to go that far.

@dogbert617: Thanks for sharing your trips. I booked through "Railtours Ireland" and my wife and I are very satisfied. Great tour guides on board the trains and the bus. Yes, you can travel from Dublin to Derry (Londonderry) on the Enterprise Express. You can find more information on this website:

https://railtoursireland.com/

Back