A few Empire Builder questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2sk21

Train Attendant
I'll be traveling New York to Seattle with family in August on a long planned family vacation. I have promised my parents (now in their 70s) that I would take them on a transcontinental trip and got everything else to align - keeping fingers crossed. They both love train travel and live outside the US and will be visiting me this year.

The first leg is on the Cardinal - I have bedrooms for that leg so that seems fine. For the Empire Builder, I was only able to get roomettes which are in the transition dorm (0732). I have put my name down in the waiting list for bedrooms. Is there a chance that this will come through by August?

I understand hat there are two different types of Viewliner transition sleepers. Would anyone know which kind is currently used on the Empire Builder (assuming that these consists are stable)? I'm hoping its the kind with the extra restroom on the upper deck.

Based on what I have been able to glean from the old discussions on this site, it appears that the sightseer lounge is nearly six cars behind the transition sleeper. Is this still the case? I'm a little concerned about how much sway can be expected given the age of my parents.

Thanks in advance!

Nice trip!

The Empire Builder uses Superliner equipment( Bi-Level) not Viewliner Sleepers and Amfleets, so the Transition Dorm is on the front behind the Bag Car with the Seattle Sleepers (#7) behind them, then the Diner and the Seattle Coaches..

The Portland Section, #27, which includes the Sleeper on the end of the Train,two Coaches and the Sightseer Lounge, is on the back of the train and is cutout in Spokane where it heads for Portland along the Columbia River.

The Seattle Section (#7)including the Bag Car, Transition Sleeper, Sleepers,Diner and Seattle Coaches runs to Seattle thru the Cascades.

This is a very popular train in the Summer, so keep watching for a Bedroom to open up, but probably at a High Bucket due to Supply and Demand!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice trip!

The Empire Builder uses Superliner equipment( Bi-Level) not Viewliner Sleepers and Amfleets, so the Transition Dorm is on the front behind the Bag Car with the Seattle Sleepers (#7) behind them, then the Diner and the Seattle Coaches..
Thanks - I meant to write Superliner but typed Viewliner by mistake :) In any case it appears from what you say that that it will be a pretty long walk from my sleeper to the sightseer lounge thats in the Portland section towards the rear of the train. I'll have to see whether my folks will be able to make the trek.

I'm 69 soon and had no problem on my recent trip on 28. It was a 5 car walk for me to the diner. There will be opportunities to make the walk while the train is stationary as most station arrivals are early and the train must wait for the padded schedule to catch up.

we prefer two roomettes as opposed to a bedroom, I can no longer wrestle myself into the upper berth,,,,,

it is often cheaper than the bedroom,,,

if still bent on the bedroom keep calling, cancellations often happen,,,

we prefer two roomettes as opposed to a bedroom, I can no longer wrestle myself into the upper berth,,,,,

it is often cheaper than the bedroom,,,

if still bent on the bedroom keep calling, cancellations often happen,,,
We are a part of four and have a couple of roomettes right now. Similar to your situation, parents would find it difficult to get into the upper berth. Thankfully, myself and the other member of my group are sufficiently limber to make it to the upper berth :)

The EB is set up with the trans dorm, 2 sleepers, the diner and 2 coaches in the front half that go from Chicago to Seattle. Then it has the Sightseer Lounge, 2 coaches and sleeper on the back half that go from Chicgo to Portland. These are split/combined in Spokane, east of there, it is 1 train. Thus, as you see, from the transition dorm to the Sightseer Lounge is a way.

A followup on this - after much dithering, I called up Amtrak to change my roomettes on the Empire Builder leg to bedrooms. Unfortunately none were available at that time so I put myself on the waiting list. I just got a call from Amtrak and it turned out that bedrooms are now available so I switched to bedrooms. Being peak season, the difference was pretty steep (2 roomettes to 2 bedrooms difference is $1900 - gulp!) but seeing that this is a once-in-a-once-in-a-lifetime journey, I decided to splurge. So we are now in bedrooms all the way from new York to Seattle.

Unless price is a factor, I would still keep the roomettes because it will give people more privacy (do you really want to be using the bathroom built in the room with your entire family sitting there?). But that's personal preference.

The walk to the dining and lounge cars was not bad ever. I was in the car next to the dorm/transitional, so you might have an extra 2 feet to walk. Unless you have waking problems, it will probably feel nice to stretch your legs on the trip to the lounge car. (I used to take "laps" from the front car to the last just to stretch my legs at times.

Unless price is a factor, I would still keep the roomettes because it will give people more privacy (do you really want to be using the bathroom built in the room with your entire family sitting there?). But that's personal preference.

The walk to the dining and lounge cars was not bad ever. I was in the car next to the dorm/transitional, so you might have an extra 2 feet to walk. Unless you have waking problems, it will probably feel nice to stretch your legs on the trip to the lounge car. (I used to take "laps" from the front car to the last just to stretch my legs at times.

I'm a little confused - I looked at the 3d view of a superliner bedroom and it seems clear that the attached bathroom has a door (unlike the viewliner). But your point about walking about is well taken. I'm sure we will be out and about a fair bit.

I'm a little confused - I looked at the 3d view of a superliner bedroom and it seems clear that the attached bathroom has a door (unlike the viewliner). But your point about walking about is well taken. I'm sure we will be out and about a fair bit.
The restroom is enclosed. However, Albo5000 may have been referring to the fact that the walls to the restroom are "thin." For what it is worth, I almost always travel in a bedroom in Superliners because of the restroom - but I travel alone.

Also, a bedroom occupant can use one of the communal toilets if that will ease embarrassment.

The ease of walking through several cars will not be a problem, especially after getting your "Train Legs". I am retired, have walked through many cars, I take it slow, look for something to hold onto just in case in the coaches, and watch for people's feet, hands, heads sticking out into the aisles especially in the morning. Let everyone walk and enjoy. Now you may want to lead the way through the coaches to clear obstacles. The SSL will be crowded so you may want to get an early seat. We eat an early breakfast in the Diner then head for the SSL to grab a seat.

Enjoy the trip. We just went on SEA/CHI earlier this month. Loved going through Glacier and along Puget Sound. Took over 100 photos just in Glacier, starting from Idaho.

The ease of walking through several cars will not be a problem, especially after getting your "Train Legs". I am retired, have walked through many cars, I take it slow, look for something to hold onto just in case in the coaches, and watch for people's feet, hands, heads sticking out into the aisles especially in the morning. Let everyone walk and enjoy. Now you may want to lead the way through the coaches to clear obstacles. The SSL will be crowded so you may want to get an early seat. We eat an early breakfast in the Diner then head for the SSL to grab a seat.

Enjoy the trip. We just went on SEA/CHI earlier this month. Loved going through Glacier and along Puget Sound. Took over 100 photos just in Glacier, starting from Idaho.
I am able bodied, and only 13, but when I was on the TE,(January 2016) (this happens on most trains with me), I was walking through the sleeper car to get to my roomette, and the train went over what I think was a switch or crossover, or something, but me and my computer bag were thrown (quite literally) into a roomette, luckily it was one that contained my friend, who I had met on the train earlier that day, and I nearly fell over, but my good balance helped me to stay upright.

The Viewliner bedrooms also have a door on the bathroom. The roomettes do not, but the bedroom does.

The restroom is enclosed. However, Albo5000 may have been referring to the fact that the walls to the restroom are "thin." For what it is worth, I almost always travel in a bedroom in Superliners because of the restroom - but I travel alone.
Yes, I was more referring to possible smells and sounds... And it is true anyone can use the restrooms on the lower level. To me, the bedroom bathroom is a little too close for comfort.

Besides the fact that anyone can use the other bathrooms , anyone can use the shower room on the LL. I almost always used the other rest rooms, and always used the LL shower room. The shower in the room is combined with the toilet room, and if the shower is used the entire room gets wet - including the toilet and the bathroom floor. Besides, the LL shower has more room - including a separate dressing area.

I would personally stay with the roomettes.

When I traveled with two of my children when they were small, the bathroom in the bedroom worked out well as did the larger bed so both girls could comfortably sleep together with me above.

These days I prefer the roomettes, especially if traveling alone. But even when four of travel together, we get two roomettes and are very comfortable, preferring the community bathrooms and LL shower/changing room. Besides two roomettes are usually much cheaper than one bedroom.

the in room bathroom is one of the reasons we never use the H room, even though i am more than eligible. To me it is bad design,,, and wasted space,,, but what do i know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back