A couple short jaunts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you can't get to Las Vegas on the train anymore, we flew. But flying on Southwest outta Burbank made it possible to work trains in on each end of the trip.

6-16, Metrolink from Montalvo to Burbank Airport. For those who might be unfamiliar, Metrolink is commuter rail serving L.A., Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Ventura counties. Most lines center on LAX. Oh yeah: Metrolink is contract-operated by Amtrak.

(METROLINK)

This trip began from the farthest reach of the Ventura County line, the recently opened Montalvo station. Six a.m. departure. This station is off the UP main. The locomotive pulls north onto the main, then the train is pushed to L.A. Two trainsets are stored here overnight for morning inbound runs.

Sitting in the lead/cab car affords a way fun forward view all the way into L.A. I've made this trip before, and going through the Santa Susana pass, into the San Fernando valley, with the grades, curves and 3 tunnels is just awesome viewing. Talking with the engineer is fun, too; they always have the cab door open, and seem to enjoy talking trains. These trains also have an excellent on time record, and are becoming more and more popular in car-crazed S. Cal.

Unfortunately, on this trip the - how you say - "rotund" conductor blocked the forward view for virtually the entire time the train was in motion, making mindless small talk with the engineer.

Arrived Burbank Airport 2 minutes ahead of schedule. Off to Vegas. I learned on my return that service was interrupted later that day, on this line, by a suspicious package near the tracks. It turned out to be inert, but killed the trains for 3 hours. People were bused.

Back from Vegas, 6-20, Amtrak Surfliner, Burbank Airport to Oxnard. Departed at 1 p.m., 6 minutes late. Surfliner also runs push/pull, and was pushing. Generally the lead/cab car is closed off, but on rare occasions it is open, again providing a view forward. This was happily one of those occasions!

No open cab door, though (since 9/11. They used to be, and sometimes kids were even allowed to do the horn!), and there's a red flag blocking the aisle about 20 feet back. Still a great view, and excellent for photography.

This trip was notable for a jovial conductor who rattled off a hilarious story about idiot passengers as he processed my fare (paid on the train - no agent at Burbank).

On time into Oxnard.

Two great train rides, a so-so week in Lost Wages.

P.S. Hope this isn't too bad for a first post. I really enjoy reading everybody else's.

Sounds like some fun trips. Hopefully the train will someday reach back to Vegas. I have been to California before and have little desire to go back, but everyone's stories about the many trains out thattaway may change my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back