A Business Class Trip with a Difference

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
On Amtrak....Business Class is an Upgraded Coach with drink and snack but take a ride on VIA and Business Class is a product closer to what's offered in Acela First Class.

Last weekend I travelled from Toronto to Ottawa using a VIA Preference (their frequent flyer program) discount coupon offering a Business Class up-grade at a very reasonable cost.

Business Class is offered on just about every train in the Quebec City to Windsor Corridor and is quite popular with some trains even running with two cars. Seating in the refurbished cars is 2 + 1 so for the best selection of seats.....single or double and aisle or window......I've found the best time to travel is on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning when fewer are travelling. We were about 1/3 full on Saturday afternoon.

Arriving at Toronto Union Station early.....I had time to wait and enjoy the Business Lounge.

20180921_155801.jpg

20180922_120806.jpg

20180922_120925.jpg

20180922_121517.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before we even left the station.....the attendant passed with the bar cart and I had a Rickards Red ale.

Hot towels were given out to freshen-up then Dinner service began shortly afterwards. There were three choices: pasta, chicken or the beef which I selected along with garlic mashed and carrots and beans. The wine glass was topped up a couple of times during the meal..then coffee and a brownie for desert. An after-dinner chocolate was also offered.

After the meal service the Attendant walked through the car a couple of time asking if she could get you anything else and about 2 ½ hrs into the trip.....came through offering water.

20180922_133645.jpg

20180922_140331.jpg

20180922_142513.jpg

20180922_144233.jpg

On the last leg of the trip......I enjoyed another Rickards as we passed through Smiths Falls above the Rideau Canal Lock. From Brockville to Ottawa (120 km) is mostly VIA owned track with some fast 155 km/h running. (the track through Smiths Falls is still CP owned)

20180922_163759.jpg

20180922_165528.jpg

20180922_170111.jpg

Great shots, thanks for posting!
default_smile.png

Just a caution - I traveled in business class Toronto to Montreal in June 2017 and had a seat reserved just like the one in the above photos BUT Via Rail at the last minute substituted an old Budd coach and arbitrarily reassigned all the seats. The Budd is 2x2 seating whereas the advertised and newer business coach is 1x2. On my return trip I was able to travel in the advertised 1x2 business class coach and it was indeed an excellent experience. Later on that trip I was to travel back Toronto to Montreal and then take the Amtrak train to New York from Montreal. Once again they substituted the old Budd with 2x2 seating and reassigned seats. Since I had no control of the seat assignment, I did cancel that trip and instead took the Toronto to New York Amtrak train which did have business class with 1x2 seating and saved some money in doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report!

Are passengers allowed access to the business class VIA rail lounges if arriving on a business class ticket, but onward travel is coach class?

I believe that is how it still works on Amtrak?

Ed.

Back