98 Silver Meteor Derails in SAV (1/3/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that 448/449 have lost their sleepers to the 97/98 because of the damage. Anyone have a clue as to when the sleeper may be returned to service?

I read that 448/449 have lost their sleepers to the 97/98 because of the damage. Anyone have a clue as to when the sleeper may be returned to service?
That's buffy B/S. There were a couple days in a the last few weeks when BOS shopped their view. Normally, NYP would send one to compensate but the harsh weather+the derailment caused a high shop count. As such, there were a few instances where the blanked the BOS sleeper for a round trip.

That's buffy B/S. There were a couple days in a the last few weeks when BOS shopped their view. Normally, NYP would send one to compensate but the harsh weather+the derailment caused a high shop count. As such, there were a few instances where the blanked the BOS sleeper for a round trip.
Do you happen to know the condition of the 98-03 sleepers? When I was onboard they said the cars were off the track, but not damaged. Is that the case?

Do you happen to know the condition of the 98-03 sleepers? When I was onboard they said the cars were off the track, but not damaged. Is that the case?
When I traveled through Savannah onboard 91 last Sunday there were two baggage cars with two Viewliner sleepers in between them parked at the Savannah station. If my assumption that the two sleeping cars and one of the baggage cars are the detailed cars is correct, then they were back on the track but still being held at Savannah at that point.

Probably waiting for a special move to Hialeah.
That makes sense. I am surprised it's taken 13 days, though.
default_wacko.png

Crew, Engine, and required repairs to make safe.

All three need to be done first.

Not a issue for CSX as the equipment is located off there tracks.

Side note its unlikely that both of the viewliners hit the ground. Normally the car that touch the ground and the next car in line is pull out. So baggage and one or two trucks off a sleeper would in result in the secound sleeper getting set out.

Still need to be inspected even if the 2nd sleeper did not hit the ground.

An interesting side note. I have an acquaintance who works for CSX. He said that switched in the South don't freeze that often, so they don't have dedicated heaters. But CSX apparently has plenty of smudge pots, but no one at Amtrak either has any or asked CSX for help. My acquaintance also said that with the Harrison Cuts, there aren't near enough crew to deploy them.

Seems like this could have been a very preventable incident.

Side note its unlikely that both of the viewliners hit the ground. Normally the car that touch the ground and the next car in line is pull out. So baggage and one or two trucks off a sleeper would in result in the secound sleeper getting set out.

Actually, a special movement is necessary if there is a major FRA exception. In that case, you would need to obtain a waiver to move the non-complying equipment that has certain issues if you can't make the car roadworthy . Otherwise, non-complying equipment can move on revenue trains.

As Just-Thinking stated, once the equipment was made safe by making necessary repairs, it was equipment was shipped out of Sav without the need for a special movement. The second sleeper did hit ground but a quick change of the trucks in Hia (which is typically when a car hits the ground) and its back on the road. The other two cars are still out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, a special movement is necessary if there is a major FRA exception. In that case, you would need to obtain a waiver to move the non-complying equipment that has certain issues if you can't make the car roadworthy . Otherwise, non-complying equipment can move on revenue trains.

As Just-Thinking stated, once the equipment was made safe by making necessary repairs, it was equipment was shipped out of Sav without the need for a special movement. The second sleeper did hit ground but a quick change of the trucks in Hia (which is typically when a car hits the ground) and its back on the road. The other two cars are still out.
As I understand it (and I could be wrong), none of the cars seemed damaged - they just derailed. If that is the case, can't they just do an inspection in Savannah, get the all-clear, and return 'em to service? Or were the cars found to have damage?

Amtrak always swap out the wheels. Of any equipment that hit the ground. Might be Amtrak rule or FRA.

Thirdrail7 just stated the 1st viewliners is damage and needs repair. How much, how long, how expensive? We dont know.

Back