8(13) window evacuation at Minot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that a passenger in an upper level roomette or bedroom of the Portland sleeper on the Empire Builder arriving in Minot on Sept. 14 was evacuated by taking out the window (in Bedroom E, I believe). I was told that the passenger had sustained an apparent hip injury and could not be transported down the stairs. The window of Bedroom E (which was not the injured passenger's room) was taken out and the passenger was removed with the help and equipment from the Minot Fire Dept.

From what I heard it was unclear if the window was successfully replaced and if the passengers in Bedroom E could continue in that room or if they were assigned a different room.

First time I have heard of a passenger being removed through a window for quite some time. It has long been the traditional method but I think it rarely happens on Amtrak. I don't know if Bedroom E is one of the rooms identified for window removal in these cases. The old Pullman diagrams used to identify certain windows for removal for stretcher cases.

I understand that 8(13) was an hour or so late departing Minot but made up the time quite well and I think arrived in Chicago early.

In September 1971 I saw this done from a 10-6 sleeper at Lester, Washington to East Auburn. I think the removable window was in one of the bedrooms. As word circulated among the delayed passengers I think it was the first time that I heard no griping - the injured man would have had a couple of hours strapped and braced on a gurney on gravel roads as an alternative. As the Empire Builder no longer runs the Stampede Pass route, I would guess that an air ambulance would be the alternative now, even costlier than an Amtrak sleeping car room.

The most famous example of this type of event happened in the 60s. When RFK was assassinated they ran a funeral train from NYP-WAS. The casket was located in the former PRR 120 (also used by his brother for the Army Navy Game). Due to the casket though the Penn Central car department removed the window. And the office car ran without a window from NYP-WAS while the slain candidate rested in state in the casket in the lounge.

That car is a PV now and can sometimes be seen.

Back