#51 (5/23) late due to bridge fire?

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Linda T, May 24, 2014.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 26, 2014 #26

SouthernServesTheSouth

SouthernServesTheSouth

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant

Why not bring the Cardinal south from DC on NS to Lynchburg, then do a reversing move

on the wye and go West on CSX to CliftonForge and eliminate the BBRR mess. OR as been previously mentioned, NS thru Roanoke and then back to the western edge of West VA.?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  2. May 26, 2014 #27
    I saw the cardinal 50 Sunday morning at 4:45 PM make its regular stop in Maysville Kentucky. Buckingham branch Railroad who services the tracks through Staunton, Virginia confirmed there was a fire but could not give out details as it is still under criminal investigation. They said that Amtrak had the option to wait until 11:30 PM that Friday night for it to be repaired (and we could've got through) but Amtrak made the .decision that they didn't want to wait. I was surprised to find out that Amtrak is actually owned by the US government

3. May 26, 2014 #28
    I meant 4:45 am (not pm) stop in Maysville, KY.

4. May 27, 2014 #29

Linda T

Linda T

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant

Actually, I was reporting what Amtrak's 1-800-USA-RAIL said when I called on Saturday. They said Saturday's Cardinal #50 was going to terminate at IND. Since I'm riding on Wednesday I called today to see the status and they said 50 would run its full run starting Wednesday, and I reconfirmed that Saturday's train #50 turned at IND, and they said yes it did. I don't know why it would show up at MAY based on my conversation with reservations. Go figure.

5. May 29, 2014 #30

Linda T

Linda T

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant

Not sure what you saw go through MAY on Sunday morning, but the Huntington crew yesterday confirmed that the Sat-Sun 50 was terminated in IND (as USA-RAIL said). According to the crew the fire was at Craigsville, and they've heard anything from one to three ties were on fire, not the great conflagration that many of us (at least I) imagined when USA-RAIL said "a major fire." The 50 got across on Friday, the 51 was stopped, 51 backed all the way from STA to CVS. I didn't think about things like no headlight going through tunnels, backing across roads, around bends that you can't see around... that was a major operation in itself to back the train 30 some miles. And yeah, I talked to the guy who did it. I'm easily amazed, but I think the HUN crew did a great job getting the train back to CVS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  6. May 30, 2014 #31

crescent2

crescent2

crescent2

Conductor

How so for the Cardinal?

Thanks

7. May 30, 2014 #32

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Slow, unreliable, and most annoyingly, only runs 3 days a week. Which makes for serious problems if anything goes wrong.

8. May 30, 2014 #33

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

And the SL?? Considering it's usually early into LAX. Just the early hour is a drawback for me.

9. May 30, 2014 #34

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Again, 3 a week, though it does usually run early. Also, the freaking early hour, as you say.

I have found scheduling around a 3-a-week a nightmare. If anything goes wrong, the next train isn't for 2 days... maybe 3.