4th of July Fireworks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A year ago, I was riding the Hiawatha from MKE to CHI in the evening, and caught some fireworks while riding through the north side of Chicago.

I can't remember if it was July 4 or some other occasion, though. It probably was July 4 due to the number of different fireworks shows, but I can't specifically recall actually going up there on July 4 last year (doesn't mean I didn't, I just don't have a mental note of it).

Check your local route schedule to see which towns you pass through around dusk. During fireworks season, most towns start their show around 9:45 PM.

Then, check the fireworks schedule for those towns. Not all towns do fireworks on July 4th. Some areas near me do them on July 1, 2, or 3, depending on which day of the week Independence Day occurs.

It really is luck of the draw. The train could be early or late, the show could be rained out, or it might start right after you pass through an area.

I've never caught any on the train, but I do get treated to a lot if I'm driving down I-94 between Kalamazoo and Detroit that time of year. With all of the farmland, it's easy to see way off in the distance.

I will be on an Amtrak train this coming 4th of July, the LSL. According to the LSL's schedule, I will be in or near Syracuse at 9:45 PM if the LSL is on time. I'll make sure to look up any possible displays for Syracuse.

We'll be on the Coast Starlight (LAX to SEA) this July 4. Should be in Oakland just about 9:45, hope to catch view of some fireworks in Oakland or over the San Francisco Bay!

A few years ago (maybe 2006 or 2007), a friend and I were riding the Capitol Limited from CHI to WAS on July 4. We were rolling through northern Indiana (South Bend-ish) at just the time to see various fireworks shows for probably 30-60 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back