30th Street ClubAcela closed this weekend for renovating?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in the lounge yesterday, there was a manager in there and he said the lounge would be closed this coming weekend for renovations. I think Friday-Sunday, but I regret I wasn't listening as closely as I should have been. Also, they just renovated it about a year or so ago, so not sure why again.

I wanted to pass this on just in case any of you are traveling through Philly this coming weekend and had planned to stop in the lounge.

Any of you more in the know about 30th Street have more information? Thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
It was scheduled for September.
Are you saying that the Lounge will be closed in September or this coming weekend? If the lounge is closed, will sleeper passengers be provided a location to store luggage?

Penny, I don't know the answer to the luggage question for sleeper passengers, but I do have a suggestion for anyone coming to and leaving from PHL the same day if there is no free storage (I noticed that regular storage is $10 a bag, even with a train ticket, so you want to avoid that).

As many of you know, they have wonderful red caps at Philly, and their desk is right in the middle of the station. I would tell them the train you're leaving on and ask if they would hold your luggage on that train's cart and take you and the luggage down to the train. I've dropped off my suitcase with them early, gone into Philly for a few hours, and come back, with no problem. It's worth the few dollars tip to have your luggage somewhere safe and also not have to stand in line forever for the train. I don't know if there's a limit on how early you can leave bags with them, but it's worth a try if the only other option is storage for a high fee.

Thanks! My brain is not its sharpest in the summer heat, so that was probably my one and only great idea this summer!
default_tongue.png

It was scheduled for September.
Are you saying that the Lounge will be closed in September or this coming weekend? If the lounge is closed, will sleeper passengers be provided a location to store luggage?
The lounge was scheduled to close Mid-September for a renovation blitz. As far as I know, that is still the plan. I haven't heard of any plan to close it this weekend, but I don't hear everything.

Well, I heard it from an Amtrak manager, but that doesn't mean he didn't get it wrong.

Our wonderful lounge attendant Tad was on the desk, and he would have known for sure, but I couldn't ask him in front of his manager if his manager knew what the heck he was talking about!
default_tongue.png

Also, Thirdrail7, do you know what they are renovating? They already changed the furniture once and pretty recently. Is this renovation for maintenance-type stuff? (If Amtrak is trying to save costs, it would seem silly to replace fairly new furniture with even newer furniture
default_unsure.png
)

I phoned the Select Executive Amtrak phone number and asked the agent to whom I spoke. She looked it up and stated that the renovations to the lounge will be from September 14th to 16th. I hope her information is accurate.

Maybe the Manager is renovating his spacious office attached to the Club
default_biggrin.png
What am I missing here?

I have always found the 30th Street ClubAcela to be a wonderful experience. The staff has been some of the best, they keep the snack/drink area always full, and come and get you personally when your train is ready for boarding.

I don't know how that area of the station is set up. Is it possible that some type of work not relating to the lounge will block access for the weekend? The laundry room in my building will be closed tomorrow, but nothing is being done to it. Access control systems are going on the basement doors, so the path will be blocked. Just thinking....

Also, Thirdrail7, do you know what they are renovating? They already changed the furniture once and pretty recently. Is this renovation for maintenance-type stuff? (If Amtrak is trying to save costs, it would seem silly to replace fairly new furniture with even newer furniture
default_unsure.png
)
All of the Acela lounges are supposed receive renovations. New designs, paint, carpeting etc. They'll probably have a modern, contemporary look....to match the food on the LSL and CL.

default_unsure.png
)
All of the Acela lounges are supposed receive renovations. New designs, paint, carpeting etc. They'll probably have a modern, contemporary look....to match the food on the LSL and CL.
Bazinga! -Sheldon Cooper

For once, I am glad that a manager I talked to had the wrong information. I am glad you were able to sit in the lounge, especially this weekend.

Back