30,000 points problem ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess you have also never come across BoA’s left hand not knowing what BoA’s right hand is doing. Having dealt with BoA for at least a decade I can assure you that is the norm, not the exception. [emoji57]

The best way I know for getting what you're promised from a monkey point promotion is to save screen shots of every step of the sign-up process, including dates and times, and to keep copies of every email and hard copy communication. Once you've met the terms of the agreement in force when you signed up you pay off the balance and wait for the points to clear. If anything looks off you start the corrective process by calling and submitting your well documented paper trail. That's usually enough for most situations but if that fails you can attempt to take the bank to small claims court.

The more I think about this , it looks to me like both agents just did not care to do the homework. Like I said wait and see. My wife tells me I have others things to do. Like the honey do list. Over and out
Pardon me for asking but this is something I've always wondered. Do married guys casually volunteer this sort of thing because they genuinely dislike being bossed around or because they secretly enjoy it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I received and activated this card on 07/30 and on 07/31 paid my local Kia Service Center $2150. I haven't seen the 30,000 points in my AGR account yet but my closing date is listed as tomorrow 08/13 so guessing points may not get awarded until then. Soon as the statement appears in my BOFA account hoping the points will listed in the rewards summary.
They posted my BofA statement today and my 30,000 bonus points are there as promised.20180814_214026.jpeg

Just to be clear, scrollmaster didn't start this thread; AKA is the one who had the issue, and still has yet to get the 30K points.

So actually there is nothing more that can be done until his closing date is reached and his statement denotes how many points he received. Then he will know whether everything is fine or he has to make a call to BOA. Perhaps much ado about nothing!
default_smile.png

Just so y'all know, I took a look at the fine print and it turns out the 30,000 point deal expires September 30th. So anyone who hasn't gotten the card yet still has well over a month to utilize this offer.

I'm planning a trip from Dallas to Penn Station next June with my 30,000 points. I have yet to receive the card to begin spending the required 1,000 dollars.

Just another data point. I received a similar 'welcome to Amtrak BOA card' today. The caller asked me to activate the card, which I had done weeks before and for which I've booked four Amtrak trips. She then mentioned the 20,000 bonus, and I quickly corrected her about it should be 30,000. She hemmed and hawed, and then said she would put me on hold to see what was going on. I suggested that was a good idea as it should (and better be) 30,000. Anyway, a few minutes later she returned and said it was 30,000. She also mentioned the pending points (I haven't reached the first statement date yet) which sounded about right.

Just another data point. I received a similar 'welcome to Amtrak BOA card' today. The caller asked me to activate the card, which I had done weeks before and for which I've booked four Amtrak trips. She then mentioned the 20,000 bonus, and I quickly corrected her about it should be 30,000. She hemmed and hawed, and then said she would put me on hold to see what was going on. I suggested that was a good idea as it should (and better be) 30,000. Anyway, a few minutes later she returned and said it was 30,000. She also mentioned the pending points (I haven't reached the first statement date yet) which sounded about right.
Yeah, the people who seem to be in charge of "welcoming" BOA AGR card holders don't seem to actually know much about it. I don't understand why this stuff is apparently so difficult.

My points have posted to my Amtrak rewards account. It shows like this:

09/08/2018 BankOfAmerica WorldCard Other Earning 20,000

09/08/2018 BankOfAmerica WorldCard Other Earning 10,000

So, two line items (plus the actual earnings from card spending).

Interesting. I guess it might easier from a technical perspective to frame this offer as effectively an extra 10,000 points over what you normally get, but I would just think that they could show it as a single 30,000 point earning on the user side.

Yeah, the people who seem to be in charge of "welcoming" BOA AGR card holders don't seem to actually know much about it. I don't understand why this stuff is apparently so difficult.
Never worked for a large organization, have ye?
default_wink.png
This highlights just a small part of the disconnect between marketing and customer service. That is in addition to the fact that we're talking about a company who doesn't even trust its own employees with accessing customer information without real-time customer input.

Interesting. I guess it might easier from a technical perspective to frame this offer as effectively an extra 10,000 points over what you normally get, but I would just think that they could show it as a single 30,000 point earning on the user side.
Which is probably why the "welcome" crew only frames the message as a 20K sign-up bonus. It's currently permanent, so it's really the only promotion they are given information on.

All is good. 20,000 + 10,000 posted today. Its like Railroad Bill said. Much ado about nothing. I should have known. Right and left hands not knowing each other. It was of concern to me because both BOA and AGR said the same thing.

We want to get the card, but for reasons I'm not going to get into, we can't sign up sooner than next Friday (9/28). The 30,000 points deal expires on the 30th. If we sign up before then, but qualify for the points after the 30th, will we still get the points? Or do we have to get the points themselves before the deadline?

We want to get the card, but for reasons I'm not going to get into, we can't sign up sooner than next Friday (9/28). The 30,000 points deal expires on the 30th. If we sign up before then, but qualify for the points after the 30th, will we still get the points? Or do we have to get the points themselves before the deadline?
?

?
I would think you would just have to sign up, but i'm really not sure. Why dont you call!? (not that that would give you any confidence in their answer!!!)
default_sad.png

?
I would think you would just have to sign up, but i'm really not sure. Why dont you call!? (not that that would give you any confidence in their answer!!!)
default_sad.png
Yeah, we'll probably call. But I think I will have to take any answer I get with a grain mountain of salt.

I think this answers your question (if I understand it correctly):

From a link on the AGR site about the 30,000 points offer. The Bonus Points section was near the bottom of the page.

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go#creditCardTnCAnchor

"Bonus Points Offer. You will qualify for 30,000 bonus points if you use the World Mastercard® account to make any combination of Net Purchase transactions totaling at least $1,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Cash Advances and Balance Transfers do not apply for purposes of this offer. Limit 1 bonus points offer per new account. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts. Other advertised promotional bonus points offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Applications must be received by 09/30/2018 to qualify for this offer. Allow 8-12 weeks from qualifying for the bonus points to post to the primary cardholder's Amtrak Guest Rewards account. The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice. The bonus points do not count toward Select, Select Plus or Select Executive status."

Wish they had that 30 000 point offer in February when I got my card. How about an automatic 10,000 bonus for everyone who got 20 000 during the past year?

Back