3 Points/Dollar: AGR Mastercard Purchases (ended 12/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked my wife's AGR account. A bunch of points posted today. The BofA Card points bonus definitely is in effect! 
Just checked mine and the extra points are there for me too.  :)   Now to wait for my other card to post later this month.

Points post with each monthly billing, right? Because we just got the bill for the AGR card, and no new points seem to have posted. But I guess considering a total of zero points posted (not even the standard 1 point per dollar sum), the bonus points aren’t necessarily the issue...

Points post with each monthly billing, right? Because we just got the bill for the AGR card, and no new points seem to have posted. But I guess considering a total of zero points posted (not even the standard 1 point per dollar sum), the bonus points aren’t necessarily the issue...
My card account closed yesterday and the statement isn't on BOA website yet, but rewards just posted as promised on amtrakguestrewards.com A pretty penny (apologies to Penney).

Thanks to all for the heads up on this one.  I now see the offer on amtrakguestrewards.com but didn't get (or didn't notice) the offer until I saw it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, my stuff posted in good order.  I moved a lot of stuff over to my card (and I'm planning to move some more along as well).  Unfortunately...*grumbles*  The TQPs don't land until January, possibly combining with another issue to screw me on status.

By way of an explanation, I'm presently at 1,000 CC TQPs.  I should be at either 2,000 or 3,000 but a batch of them evaporated when I closed my redundant World card...and with the massive slug of spending I put on the card, I really should be at 4,000 (since even with the second card's spending being AWOL, I was able to run over $10,000 over the one card; if I had a smooth mechanism for unloading gift cards, I'd be marching this offer in circles).  Overall I am at 14,635 TQPs (but with full CC spending credit, I would be at 17,635).  I therefore need 5,365 (but should only need 2,365).  Setting aside probably 250-300 TQPs for a train ride up to DC next week, 2000-ish TQPs is basically a paid First round-trip WAS-NYP (and a nice way to kill X-mas since Mom, Dad, and my sister are flying to Florida that morning [1]).  $700.  Doable.  3000 TQPs probably involves a third leg back up to NYP or BOS, tagged with either an insane Johnny Cash trip on Delta or an afternoon at the JFK Virgin Clubhouse.  $1000.  Not happy about it, but doable.  5000 TQPs involves a lot of uncomfortable questions from your accountant.

[1] Due to my airline insanity, even if we're going the same place I tend to fly on my own...since Dad has the Companion Pass, they do WN while I do DL.

Mine posted right on schedule. With Christmas shopping and now medical bills looming, I should get a wad more points by the end of the promotion.
I hope your hospital bills faster than mine does so you can pay the bill and get the  points.

When I went to the Emergency Room for a very Painful Kidney Stone Condition, while I was waiting for treatment, a Clerk came and told me that my Insurance,wasn't going to cover this and that it would be approximately $6-$7,000, how did  I want to handle this??

Since they can't deny Emergency treatment @ a Public Hospital by Law, I told them I was broke and they went ahead and  treated me ( Excellent care)over a period of 8 Hours.

A week later I received a Statement from my Insurance Company and they had Paid the Hospital $12,000! 

Make America Great again! :help:

OK, so we just looked over our November AGR card statement, and the bonus points were not in there. :(

So my dad called Bank of America, and after a pretty long wait, an agent finally picks up. So he explains the situation to the agent and how the deal explicitly says that card holders are supposedly automatically signed up for it. The agent then informed us that the points and the deal are all done by Amtrak, despite the fact that it was clearly a BoA card statement listing the points we got, with the description "Points sent to Amtrak".

We were skeptical, but assumed that an employee of the company providing the card would probably know this (pretty basic) stuff, so dad called AGR, and of course the AGR agent informed him that they knew for a fact that the offer was through BoA, and that's who has to deal with it. So dad calls BoA back, and has to wait for 45 minutes to wait for an agent, to which he once again explains the situation and the fact that the previous agent screwed up and directed him to AGR, and finally that second BoA agent (thankfully) went and and registered us for the deal and guaranteed us retroactive bonus points, which should post within 10-14 days. 

Two morals of this story:

1. Apparently Amtrak is not alone in having phone agents that don't understand how things work.
  2. EVERYBODY who has the AGR card should check their card statements (the full PDF version), and make sure that you are receiving the bonus points. If you are not "registered" to this supposedly-automatic promotion, call Bank of America, explain the situation, and DO NOT let them direct you to AGR. Good luck.

OK, so we just looked over our November AGR card statement, and the bonus points were not in there. :(

So my dad called Bank of America, and after a pretty long wait, an agent finally picks up. So he explains the situation to the agent and how the deal explicitly says that card holders are supposedly automatically signed up for it. The agent then informed us that the points and the deal are all done by Amtrak, despite the fact that it was clearly a BoA card statement listing the points we got, with the description "Points sent to Amtrak".

We were skeptical, but assumed that an employee of the company providing the card would probably know this (pretty basic) stuff, so dad called AGR, and of course the AGR agent informed him that they knew for a fact that the offer was through BoA, and that's who has to deal with it. So dad calls BoA back, and has to wait for 45 minutes to wait for an agent, to which he once again explains the situation and the fact that the previous agent screwed up and directed him to AGR, and finally that second BoA agent (thankfully) went and and registered us for the deal and guaranteed us retroactive bonus points, which should post within 10-14 days. 

Two morals of this story:

1. Apparently Amtrak is not alone in having phone agents that don't understand how things work.
  2. EVERYBODY who has the AGR card should check their card statements (the full PDF version), and make sure that you are receiving the bonus points. If you are not "registered" to this supposedly-automatic promotion, call Bank of America, explain the situation, and DO NOT let them direct you to AGR. Good luck.
This sounds exactly like my experience. I've also learned that after calling BoA, you should receive a letter stating they are on it (solving the issue). Also, those 10 - 14 days are business days!!! (I'm still waiting) :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my statement from last month.

It’s kind of hard to determine, because some were 1/$, some were 2/$ and some were 3/$, but I am satisfied that I got 3/$ for all. It listed as

• Points for purchases = 356
  • bonus points = 837 (to get all purchases to 3/$)

It just is frustrating that they advertised this as “Your card is already activated for this offer. No action is needed”, when clearly that is not the case. I guess they’re counting on people buying a crapload of stuff and simply assuming that they got the points they were promised. Pretty scummy, IMHO.

No.

Until I read it here on AU, I didn’t know about it. (I did later get an email.) I didn’t use it all that much, but I still got the 3X.
Still, it says in the notice that people are supposed to automatically get points, and look what happened to Rail Freak and I. They shouldn’t say that people are automatically registered for the promo when that is not necessarily the case.

It just is frustrating that they advertised this as “Your card is already activated for this offer. No action is needed”, when clearly that is not the case. I guess they’re counting on people buying a crapload of stuff and simply assuming that they got the points they were promised. Pretty scummy, IMHO.
I didn't register and I got the extra points so it's not "clearly that is not the case".

I didn't register and I got the extra points so it's not "clearly that is not the case".
I meant that that's clearly not the case for everyone. Obviously plenty of people were automatically entered into it, but mine and Rail Freak's experiences show that that definitely isn't guaranteed. 

Back