3 Points/Dollar: AGR Mastercard Purchases (ended 12/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, just a note: Alaska Airlines has a buy points promotion going on right now (the cost-per-point is about $0.0198 after taxes at the highest purchasing level), so this actually makes pumping something like that worthwhile (since you'll walk away with enough AGR points generated to either pull a gift card, at $0.03 in value, back or get AGR travel for more).  So this is...er...broken.
What are those Alaska points worth, though?

@cpotisch:
(1) On the one hand, TPG puts their value at about 1.8 cents per mile.  On the other hand, I've been able to get far more from that out of them in the past (as a rule, their partner redemptions are a better deal, particularly on Cathay Pacific, and CX availability is pretty good*).  I would probably peg judicious use of them at about $0.03 vis-a-vis what you'd "normally" pay (for example, I am not valuing a Cathay Pacific First seat JFK-YVR at the $4000 sticker price...I'm putting it more in line with a normal "domestic" lie-flat First seat heading out to the West Coast (so $1000-ish), so the 35,000 miles probably come to around $0.03 in value).  Yes, I've done that trip (twice) before.
(1a) So, to analyze a hypothetical transaction above:
-You pay the $1773.75 for 90,000 Alaska miles (60,000 "purchased" plus 30,000 "bonus").  Cost is $0.0198/mile**
--Taking 1.8 cents/mile, you're looking at $1620 in value.
--Taking 3.0 cents/mile, you're looking at $2700 in value.
-On the side, you get 5,321.25 AGR points.
--On a "bad" redemption (gift cards), that's $53.21 in value.
--On a "good" redemption (non-Acela Amtrak travel), that's probably around $160 in travel (remember, it's $0.029/point...but you've inherently got the credit card so there's the 5% points rebate).

* And I'm quietly ignoring my Emirates award jackpot.
**Technically $0.0197083..., but I choose to round off unfavorably here.

(2) Moving to an "internal" AGR purchase (since that's all in-house):
-You pay $1131 for 39,000 AGR points (30,000 "purchased" plus 9,000 "bonus").  The cost-per-point is $0.029.
-On the side, you get an additional 3,393 points (so, 42,393 points total).  This gives you a grand total of $0.0267/point.

Nobody will ever give me a high credit limit, so I pay for major expenses by check, but I might as well max out my rather low credit limit this month...

I will say that on redemptions, for the last several years I've consistently gotten the best value (dollars/point) on LSL or Empire Service business class for some unknown reason.  So I've been making all my business class reservations by points, while doing sleeper and coach purchases with dollars.

(Oh, I just figured it out.  It's because of the NARP discount if I'm alone  / the disabled+companion discount if I'm with Bitsy.  The discount is apparently worth significantly more on sleeper and coach and significantly less on business class, for some reason, but none of the discounts apply to points purchases.)

I don't think it's worth going out of my way to get more points since I have 122,000 and only three sleeper trips planned next year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody will ever give me a high credit limit, so I pay for major expenses by check, but I might as well max out my rather low credit limit this month...
Have you tried paying the major expenses you could pay by credit card to the credit card company then you can charge the expense to the card which now has a credit.

To clarify, I'm talking order of magnitude differences. Large enough that I'd actually lose significant amounts of interest by prepaying rather than paying when due.  I wrote a single check larger than my entire credit card limit recently.

Credit card companies don't like me because I don't carry balances and I don't incur fees.  I just accept that at this point.

Merchants prefer checks anyway since they don't have to pay credit card merchant fees, so I like to oblige them.  Sometimes they give me a discount because of that.

I got my monthly BOA bill(November charges) this morning & there was no bonus !!!  :angry:
On my paper (PDF) bill, the AGR points are at the end under "Your Reward Summary." There should be a line for "Base Purchase Points" and another line for "Bonus and Promotional Points."  That is where the extra points showed up.  My points calculated exactly for the triple points promotion starting with transaction dates 11/5/18 and later.  The points posted to AGR.

Are you saying that you got the bonus pts.?
It appears so. On November 24 I had 4 transactions posted to my AGR account where I normally have two transactions listed (base points plus the extra (second) points per dollar for my commuting expenses which are 2 points per dollar). When I have Amtrak charges, there is a third posting to my account (for the third point per dollar)

The promo shows the "AGR World Mastercard."  That is the $79 annual fee card.  The no-fee card is the "Platinum" Mastercard.  I wonder of the 3x promo is only for the Wolrd card with the $79 annual fee?

EDIT: The main promo page shows both cards, so my short-lived theory is false.

I called BofA back & fortunately found a rep that knew her stuff. She said for some reason my cards showed that they  weren't registered for bonus points Promo! She put in a request for the points & registered my cards for the remaining portion of the promo! She said it would take up to 10 days for my bonus points to show on my AGR account!!! :)

I've noticed, the older I get, the less patience I have!!!!!! I'm glad I pursued it & not just give up!!!

I called BofA back & fortunately found a rep that knew her stuff. She said for some reason my cards showed that they  weren't registered for bonus points Promo! She put in a request for the points & registered my cards for the remaining portion of the promo! She said it would take up to 10 days for my bonus points to show on my AGR account!!! :)
Good thing you caught it. Wonder how many more cards out there are not (mysteriously) registered! 

I've noticed, the older I get, the less patience I have!!!!!! I'm glad I pursued it & not just give up!!!
So will you be getting all your bonus points or just points from future purchases before the deadline?

I didn’t know you “had to register” for the 3X? :huh:

by what I saw directly from AGR, all purchases qualify. And NOTGING was said about you having to register!
Yeah, that’s how I understood it as well. It actually explicitly said that anyone with the card is automatically qualified and entered into it. :wacko:

I really wish the terms were better understood. I recall reading you didnt have to sign up and I even called BOA and they said it was automatic. My points post in a few days. Since I found out about the promotion I ve been using the card extensively. Those points better show up!

I really wish the terms were better understood. I recall reading you didnt have to sign up and I even called BOA and they said it was automatic. My points post in a few days. Since I found out about the promotion I ve been using the card extensively. Those points better show up!
Let us know if you have any problems! I guess I'll wear out the AGR Site for the next 10 days,LOL! :p

It is seriously hard to figure out how many I am supposed to get between all the levels and the promotion starting midway through my cycle. But I definitely got more than I was supposed to by a good amount so I guess that's a yes.

And no, you were not supposed to have had to sign up. Ridiculous that they tried to feed you that.

I'm a few days off of points posting time (usually it's on the 8th/9th, but (1) it's still early "today" and (2) with the 8th being a Saturday there might be a day of lag).  By Monday I'll either be a very happy camper or have a rather fun (if polite) conversation with BofA.

Back