150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad’s Completion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
On Monday, May 10, 1869, today 150 years ago, the last tie was laid on the completion of the Pacific railroad, and two locomotives, the Central Pacific's Jupiter and the Union Pacific's No. 119, met at Promontory, Utah Territory.

Five days later, regular train service began on America's first transcontinental railroad. Until a bridge was completed across the Missouri River in 1872, western travelers had to endure a crossing in a ferry boat from Council Bluffs, Iowa, to Omaha, Nebraska.

In May 1829, the first Iron Horse arrived in America, this month 190 years ago. In August 1829 it was given a trial run on a track near Honesdale, Pennsylvania.

I wonder if they'll by any commemoration for the 150th Anniversary of the Southern Transcontinental route spike laying, completed on January, 12 1883, near the Pecos River Canyon in Texas.

I wonder if they'll by any commemoration for the 150th Anniversary of the Southern Transcontinental route spike laying, completed on January, 12 1883, near the Pecos River Canyon in Texas.

Sure there will; that's the day they'll finally discontinue the Sunset Limited!

There was a centennial celebration of the completion of the Sunset Route near Comstock TX in 1983. I have a history published for the event. I have done a lot of research on that part of the line, including collecting early trip guides. In 2002 I visited the base of the Pecos River High Bridge and followed the abandoned right-of-way from the mouth of the Pecos to Tunnel #2. That must have been quite a train ride before the first High Bridge was built!

There was a centennial celebration of the completion of the Sunset Route near Comstock TX in 1983. I have a history published for the event. I have done a lot of research on that part of the line, including collecting early trip guides. In 2002 I visited the base of the Pecos River High Bridge and followed the abandoned right-of-way from the mouth of the Pecos to Tunnel #2. That must have been quite a train ride before the first High Bridge was built!

Twin Star Rocket, I would very much like to see where you found Tunnel # 2. Could you locate it on Google Maps and give the co-ordinates??

Back