Increased Security Presence on Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give us an example of a trip on Amtrak where the lack of armed security created a serious problem for you? I've been riding Amtrak for decades and on the rare occasion that someone was beyond staff control they were removed at a grade crossing and the train continued on without further issue. The problems I've had with other passengers never came close to the point of needing to maim or kill anyone.

I can give an example of an innocent Amtrak passenger shot (but not killed) BECAUSE of armed law enforcement boarding the Texas Eagle in Dallas.

Nope, it's the same everywhere!( And a Serious problem for the Homeless and Society as a Whole.)

Our Politicians need to actually do something instead of Spouting Rhetoric and formenting Hate towards these unfortunate Souls.

Hey Jim, we're hearing up here that it's getting to be a quite a problem in Austin. How big a problem is it?

I would guess the station's too far from downtown to be useful to them? I don't think I've ever seen security on the eagle, Austin or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Hey Jim, we're hearing up here that it's getting to be a quite a problem in Austin. How big a problem is it?

I would guess the station's too far from downtown to be useful to them? I don't think I've ever seen security on the eagle, Austin or anywhere else.
Heee in Austin there is an On-going War of Rhetoric between the Governor and the Mayor and City Council that is really solving nothing re what is a Serious problem with Crime and Homelessness in the Downtown Area and around the UT Campus.

There is a Homeless Camp in the Woods next to the Station,and the Homeless come around in the Morning and Evening during the Calling times for #22 and #21 to Panhandle and hangout on the Outside of the Station since the Inside is reserved for Amtrak Customers.

Most of the City has Tent Camps set up along the Major Traffic Arteries and I'd say that the Number of Visible Homeless has Doubled since the City repealed the Public Camping Ban last Fall.( Not nearly as bad as the West Coast Cities but there are several Thousand).

Drug Sales, Robberies and Assualts ( most are done by Professional Criminals, not the True Homeless) are becoming a Real problem downtown in the Tourist Areas, but are not a problem around the Amtrak Station where Panhandling is the Norm.

Apparently many members have ignored 2 messages from staff to keep this thread on topic. Consquently, staff has decided to lock this thread. As stated by jebr earlier today, those who want to discuss the general topic of homelessness can do so in the AU Lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back